Agism in the workplace

I did not write the statement below, being 25-29 super performer and such. But I guess something to look forward to in the the future, if you don’t progress in your career to the age appropriate position. ------------------------------------ Proving the obvious isn’t necessarily possible in our current civil courts. Virtually every employer wants 25-29 year-old super-performers working for them these days? Even 30-somethings are too old and too damn set-in-their-ways for these modern times. 30-somethings have kids and spouses too, and 30-somethings look at you funny when you carve away at their health benefits. And some 30-somethings are already fat and surly…and slow to see to an employer’s every Goddamn whim. And 30-somethings have the nerve to schedule vacations as though they’re entitled to them or something. 40-somethings? Ha. Don’t be ridiculous. 40-somethings? Codgers. Crones. Why don’t they just kill themselves and do the Economy a huge favor? If you thought 30-somethings were out of shape, nobody wants to look at 40-somethings, much less have to work with them. As if out-of-shape wasn’t already bad enough, you have to throw in out-of-touch when talking about 40-somethings. Most 40-somethings don’t even have Facebook or Twitter accounts. Mention anything super-trendy around 40-somethings and watch their eyes glaze over.

There was a great episode of The Office on agism last year sometime I think. Hilarious stuff.

I’m by far the youngest person at my work, and I get the reverse agism treatment…I don’t take it personally, old people tend to be very insecure.

I’m 39. I’ll admit I"m a pain in the ass to work with and I am openly critical of trendy things, fad ju jour, starbucks, silliness, etc.

artvandalay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m by far the youngest person at my work, and I > get the reverse agism treatment…I don’t take it > personally, old people tend to be very insecure. Ha ha ha, the wisdom of youth! Priceless.

I’m in my early 30’s and one of the partners I work for is 55. EVERYTHING he says to me is a freakin lesson. “Now, fedge, when you go to the bathroom, you must remember to use the toilet paper to wipe your arse. Your hand just won’t do.”

fedge Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m in my early 30’s and one of the partners I > work for is 55. EVERYTHING he says to me is a > freakin lesson. > > “Now, fedge, when you go to the bathroom, you must > remember to use the toilet paper to wipe your > arse. Your hand just won’t do.” Pin? Hi

artvandalay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m by far the youngest person at my work, and I > get the reverse agism treatment…I don’t take it > personally, old people tend to be very insecure. totally agree, i know exactly what you mean.

Nobody who isn’t EXACTLY my age has the first clue about what to do, they’re all so insecure: the old ones, the young ones, the ones who aren’t even born yet are even worse.

Wife + College Age Kids + Jumbo Mortgage = Insecurity

fresh.

A lot of young people are married, have kids and a mortgage - woopdedo nirjraina Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Wife + College Age Kids + Jumbo Mortgage = > Insecurity

I agree with the wife+kids+mortgage concept as an underlying issue explaining a geezer’s insecurity. It’s got to be tough for some 40 year old approaching midlife crisis to look his wife/kids in the eye and tell them “we’ll have to do with less…,” and there’s that whole thing about keeping up with the joneses. It might explain why the U.S. consumer got themselves in such a stew. Then there’s that whole thing with the finance industry, where like a doctor, lawyer or other professional, etc you’re expected to make big bucks. I used to be a professional musician and people had the lowest expectations of me.

I have friends in the industry who are several years younger than me who act like grizzled veterans, and I have friends as old as 40 who act like they’re 21, date chicks that are 25, and party til the crack of dawn every weekend. I like hanging with those older people since they make me feel young, both physically and mentally.