Ahead of schedule?

Slightly daunted by the prospect of L2, I have really worked hard and put the hours in on this. No social life, some exercise, hopefully it will be worth it? Started Oct '09, read, noted attempted Eoc for CFA, completed by early Jan '10 Schweser arrived mid Jan '10, watched videos, read their notes and took my own comprehensive notes as well as answering eoc questions… I have worked through some Q bank, (limited usefulness) and attempted an old mock paper. Right now, I would not pass the exam, I need to review from here working particularly on FSa and getting my game up to scratch, so that 2 x 3hour exams are not a problem on the day. Lets hope I don’t crash and burn before June! I didn’t expect to be at this point now, but have worked to get to the point I know what I have to do, rather than feel I am way behind the learning curve running out of time. Not sure whether to kick back a little , or keep pushing…any thoughts?

Personally I believe in “Overwhelming force”. You only get to sit for this once a year. Fail and you have lost that time. Once you are ready to pass you could give yourself a “short” break to recoup some energy before testing. I also started reading in Oct-Jan. Now going through QBank LOS by LOS, phase three will tie it all together by taking practice exams every week and focusing only on problem areas. Stay Focused!

I’d say hit whichever one you felt like you got the most from (maybe a combination of CFAI text and Schweser). Then mid-late April take a practice exam, and identify areas of weakness (this shouldn’t be whole topics like FSA or Equity, it should be specific areas you’re struggling with like pension expenses or whatever) - then hit all of that, rinse and repeat. You’re in a great position - just stay motivated and keep hitting the books.

Thanks chaps, I totally agree with the notion of working hard as you only get a chance at this once a year. Unless there are unforseen circumstances, right now I don’t intend to sit for L2 again pass or fail?. I think I am going to just work back through Cfai Los summaries and Eoc questions for the next few weeks, to see where that gets me. Then on to Schweser practice exams under strict 3 hour time slots, before the L2 sample and mocks are available. Agree with the stay focussed and motivated, lets hope we all can…best of luck with your studies.

I would not get too worried about time until 3-6 weeks before the exam. If you have been through the material that much start with a list of LOS’s you are testing poorly and concentrate on them for a day or 2 then go back and Q-bank a test on them. I was happy where my progress was but I guess I should stay up a few more hours to catch some of you guys.

cpepin, I think the fear is a good thing to have at this stage!

I have to catch up with you guys.am just doing SS10.i feel like am the least guy on the radder.been there b4.i know i will make it

A question for perdition. I have yet to complete the EOC. I will begin most of them in April, is 2 months enough time to complete them all, and review and do exams? Basically what im asking, is about how long did it take you to do the EOCs for each book, on average?

Hard to say…some took 1 1/2 hours…others took 4 hours! Sometimes, you are slogging through, creating some tables to get the concept, which may well be beyond what we will find on the actual exam due to time constraints. If you have 2 months, then surely you will get through them all, dependent on the hours you put in obviously,good luck!

I feel like I’m pretty far behind. I didn’t start reading anything until I found out I passed level 1. My plan the whole time has been to read all the material via Schweser, use the first two weeks of April to review FSA and Equity, and then spend the last 6 weeks doing the Schweser practice exams. This method worked for me for Level 1. I’m getting scared now though because I don’t feel like I remember anything I’ve read so far, and I’ve still got some pretty daunting first reads ahead of me, quant and about 40% left of derivatives. I just couldn’t stand to read all of derivatives at once. So we’ll see what happens, I’m really hoping that a lot starts to sink in when I start doing practice exams. At that time I’ll be hitting my flashcards that I’ve created pretty hard and I’ll be working to memorize formulas.

Obviously it depends on back ground, intelligence, comittment etc…but I am glad I had the whole year to study since passing L1 last June. I appreciate it is possible to pass L2, 6 months after level 1, some candidates manage this every year. Respect where it is due, I honestly think that is a big ask to absorb such a breadth of material in that time period.

Hard to say…some took 1 1/2 hours…others took 4 hours! Sometimes, you are slogging through, creating some tables to get the concept, which may well be beyond what we will find on the actual exam due to time constraints. If you have 2 months, then surely you will get through them all, dependent on the hours you put in obviously,good luck! Perdition, Another question. Your saying it took 1.5 hours to complete the EOC from 1 book(subject)? It took me 7hrs to finish the EOC from corp finance-Capital budgeting and that was just 1 chapter?

It varies, some of them have been short,don’t forget I have been doing these since Oct, I genuinely can’t remember which ones from the top of my head, 1.5 -4 hours were more guideline times. I tend to read the material rather than watch the clock. I am due to go back over them so will find revert with quicker sections I am not that quick, but some sections do seem quicker than others…e.g Just did the Schweser EOC ethics test…18 questions, which they suggested needed 54 minutes, was completed in less than 1/2 that time,ethics seems to be a easy to race through once you are in an ethical frame of mind.

a7m002 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hard to say…some took 1 1/2 hours…others took 4 > hours! > Sometimes, you are slogging through, creating some > tables to get the concept, which may well be > beyond what we will find on the actual exam due to > time constraints. > If you have 2 months, then surely you will get > through them all, dependent on the hours you put > in obviously,good luck! > > Perdition, > Another question. Your saying it took 1.5 hours > to complete the EOC from 1 book(subject)? > It took me 7hrs to finish the EOC from corp > finance-Capital budgeting and that was just 1 > chapter? Agreed CF Capital budgeting took long time (easily 6-7 hrs) but glad I spent the time. The item sets are great!