Alternatives for CFA

Guys could you suggest some globally recognised alternatives for CFA. There’s FRM & CAIA which are similarly recognised. Any others

Top MBA,MFE,MFin

FRM and CAIA are not “similarly recognized”

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > FRM and CAIA are not “similarly recognized” They aren’t even close. I spoke with a woman in Goldman’s Alternative Investments. She gave a big “wow” when i said I passed Level 1, when I asked if I should consider taking CAIA she said she has heard of it, but would not see the point.

there’s always LIFA … ----------------------------------------

FRM also isn’t the same thing at all… Risk Management only and not even complete at that. People in that business need a lot more than FRM to do a good job. Many people within RM don’t even recognise the three letters.

Why are you looking for alternatives to the CFA? If you are trying to circumvent the difficulty of the designation by substituting something else, you most likely will encounter disparity between the quality of designations. Just think of the CFA in the context of Porter’s five forces; barriers to entry being one of them.

CIIA is a more valid alternative but it is not as widely recognized. Supposedly it is good in these countries: Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, China, Chinese Taipei, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Iran, Italy, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg, Morocco, Netherlands, Poland, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand and Ukraine. http://web.aciia.org/web/gw_aciia.nsf

MBA from UNC

Like a Porsche, there is no substitute. Maybe the only exception is a UofC GSB MBA or another top program.

Not looking for a substitute. Just wanted to do something with CFA. I wanna be through with studying by the time i’m 26. I dont wanna pass that age and realise maybe i should have done that too. I’m already doing an MBA in finance & have cleared my L1 CFA. Also givin LIFA in dec’07 just to keep me in touch with studying so that i dont forget everything by the time L2 comes in Jun’08.

Only thang better than a CFA is a financial modeling certificate from Deal Maven.Com

Diltondoyly Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I wanna be through with studying by the time i’m 26. Never a good idea…

Why do you say that mcpass. By the way what i ment by that was i didn’t want to give any exams beyond that age, it doesn’t mean i stop learning.

Personally, I’m just gonna knock out the CFA and MBA. Maybe I’ll throw the PRM in there b/c I can do the two levels in in 2-3 months.

virginCFAhooker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Only thang better than a CFA is a financial > modeling certificate from Deal Maven.Com I have it…a joke, right?

LIFA is just a scam.

“Also givin LIFA in dec’07 just to keep me in touch with studying so that i dont forget everything by the time L2 comes in Jun’08.” This had better be a joke. Any resume I saw with LIFA would immediately get the can.

Diltondoyly Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Not looking for a substitute. Just wanted to do > something with CFA. I wanna be through with > studying by the time i’m 26. I dont wanna pass > that age and realise maybe i should have done that > too. I’m already doing an MBA in finance & have > cleared my L1 CFA. Also givin LIFA in dec’07 just > to keep me in touch with studying so that i dont > forget everything by the time L2 comes in Jun’08. you will NOT be through studying when you’re 26. as a matter of fact, you will be studying for life. the only difference is, its going to be harder for you to concerntrate on the matter since there isn’t a test out there to encourage you more after CFA. if you think after MBA and CFA its over, your career will never begin. My philosophy is, get used to the knowledge game. there are tons of books and stuff out there that needs to be learned, the designations and pieces of paper are there to help you impress other people. i dont’ know what LIFA is, but seriously, there are at least 20 books that i have downloaded that can really be helpful if you take a chance to read it. so if you’re taking LIFA for the reasons you’ve stated, you’re not learning anything new but wasting time.

I think people on these boards are just hooked on designations as though some magical combination/number exists that will catapult your career above where your experience and acumen take you. If you’re getting an MBA in Finance and earn the CFA charter, what else do you think you’ll really need? LIFA? CAIA? FRM? I cannot even tell you what these are or anyone that has them. Actually, the people that are always bringing them up are people on these boards who work in operations, so take that for what it’s worth. In other words, finish what you’re doing and get to work already!