Am I completely screwed? Plan of attack??

I have had the schweser notes for a few months now, but I’ve been swamped wrapping up my MBA, graduating, moving, etc. I am almost through the FSA book and I went through ethics quite awhile ago, but will need to re-do it before the exam. With limited time, I was given the following advice: - Focus on nailing FSA and ethics, followed by other topics that are not as foreign to me (ie, I’ll leave probabilities/stats to last if it’s the most difficult for me) - Plow through all of the material at a decent speed, practice questions in QBank, then re-focus on heaviest weighted areas that are giving me difficulty - Pray My employer is not paying for the exam, but obviously would prefer if I pass it first time around vs have to go at it again in Dec. And on top of everything else, and this sounds kind of ridiculous, I just went through an extremely abrupt and messy break up of a 4 yr relationship less than 2 weeks ago. My head is in a million different places… The good news is that I am not currently working. I do not start work until after the exam. Help?!

Your base in Finance and FSA should be good considering you just finished your MBA. I would take a practice test right away for two reasons, 1. It will give you an understanding of what you should be looking for while reading the CFA material. 2. Understanding your areas of weakness. Unfortunately for you, this is a very hard exam for the unprepared. While your circumstances are not perfect, I am sure you will not shy away from a challenge. So, use the next few weeks to master the material and take as many tests as you can. As for the rest of the stuff, I am sure an MBA can figure out the critical areas of a test, and the right strategy for optimal use of your limited resources.

3 wks = 80 hrs /week - your background. It’s been done, but it’s a really bad plan. Is there something wrong with December? You still get the charter at the same time, except you’re out a few bucks for signing up for the exam again. LII will be much easier for you if you put in the time to really learn LI instead of cramming it into short-term memory.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 3 wks = 80 hrs /week - your background. It’s been > done, but it’s a really bad plan. Is there > something wrong with December? You still get the > charter at the same time, except you’re out a few > bucks for signing up for the exam again. LII will > be much easier for you if you put in the time to > really learn LI instead of cramming it into > short-term memory. I would really rather do this, except I am concerned about how it looks to my employer. I am starting off as a sell side research associate and they wanted me to start immediately after grad, but I asked to start after the exam. So if I choose NOW to write in December, I feel like a bit of a tool for renegotiating my start date with them. I guess my question is it better to write and not pass and write in December, or just reschedule to December now?

Buy Schweser Pro QBank, do 10-15 readings worth of LoS per day, do all the problems. Do as many problems as you can. I don’t see any other way to do it. You can always use the QBank for Dec. if you don’t pass. You can’t reschedule. I make absolutely no guarantee of success, this is what I would do - cram LOS and solve problems.

financecat Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JoeyDVivre Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > 3 wks = 80 hrs /week - your background. It’s > been > > done, but it’s a really bad plan. Is there > > something wrong with December? You still get > the > > charter at the same time, except you’re out a > few > > bucks for signing up for the exam again. LII > will > > be much easier for you if you put in the time > to > > really learn LI instead of cramming it into > > short-term memory. > > > I would really rather do this, except I am > concerned about how it looks to my employer. I am > starting off as a sell side research associate and > they wanted me to start immediately after grad, > but I asked to start after the exam. > > So if I choose NOW to write in December, I feel > like a bit of a tool for renegotiating my start > date with them. > > I guess my question is it better to write and not > pass and write in December, or just reschedule to > December now? Go to Italy or something. Your employer will live without you.

Italy…what a wonderful place…