American Dream Is Elusive for New Generation - NYT

FloridaGator Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Why on earth does a 24 year old have a life > insurance policy? Who the heck relies upon him for > money? Actually, it’s not a bad idea. I used to have a variable life insurance policy, just enough to cover my funeral. Let me tell you, before the great crash of '08, it was up to a sizable sum, and a really good investment. When I got a job and became (semi) independent I cashed it out, and my mom gave it to me as a gift to get me on my feet.

I don’t think I heard anything about The Greatest, or Greediest, Generation. Increase my social security benefits, increase my medicare benefits, add a prescription drug benefit, allow public employees to unionize, don’t you dare touch Prop 13. The politicians won’t touch us because we fought the big war and we “deserve it.” AARP is the original “Give me mine, the hell with the rest of you” organization.

The generation that fought WWII deserves their benefits and weren’t too greedy and demanding about it. Many of them are already gone anyway. It’s their kids that did most of what you said.

goes to eleven Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t think I heard anything about The Greatest, > or Greediest, Generation. Increase my social > security benefits, increase my medicare benefits, > add a prescription drug benefit, allow public > employees to unionize, don’t you dare touch Prop > 13. The politicians won’t touch us because we > fought the big war and we “deserve it.” > They didn’t even fight the big war. They were born after '45.

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > goes to eleven Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I don’t think I heard anything about The > Greatest, > > or Greediest, Generation. Increase my social > > security benefits, increase my medicare > benefits, > > add a prescription drug benefit, allow public > > employees to unionize, don’t you dare touch > Prop > > 13. The politicians won’t touch us because we > > fought the big war and we “deserve it.” > > > > They didn’t even fight the big war. They were > born after '45. They were mostly draft dodgers during Vietnam. Those that couldn’t get out of it are either long dead or homeless and/ or handicapped.

Prior few posts: Prop 13 was passed in 1978. The unionization of public employees began in the 1960s. SS and MC have been allowed to become the third rail of politics over the past several decades. The sacrifices made during WWII were incredible. But the fact is, that generation has saddled their grandchildren and great-grandchildren with public programs and policies that are not sustainable.

I think there’s some confusion. “The Greatest Generation” is the generation that fought in WWII, the one before the Baby Boomers. The Baby Boomers are the ones that screwed it all up for the rest of us.

What exactly is “the American Dream” anyhow?

monger187 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think there’s some confusion. “The Greatest > Generation” is the generation that fought in WWII, > the one before the Baby Boomers. The Baby Boomers > are the ones that screwed it all up for the rest > of us. You are right, there is some confusion. Throwing a blanket over a “generation” is too broad of a term. Technically, I am a baby boomer (DOB November, 1964). I promise you I have not screwed up anything for you.

goes to eleven Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > monger187 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I think there’s some confusion. “The Greatest > > Generation” is the generation that fought in > WWII, > > the one before the Baby Boomers. The Baby > Boomers > > are the ones that screwed it all up for the > rest > > of us. > > You are right, there is some confusion. Throwing > a blanket over a “generation” is too broad of a > term. Technically, I am a baby boomer (DOB > November, 1964). I promise you I have not screwed > up anything for you. Well, not you in particular obviously, or any one person. Sorry if I offended you or anyone else within certain DOB ranges. But if you consider that many of the programs that have caused this country’s debt problems to balloon out of control benefitted the “Baby Boomer” generation more than any other. Put it this way, the government vastly overspent for approximately the past 30 years, the bulk of the Boomers’ working years. During those years, workers were undertaxed for the benefits received. In order to pay that back, subsequent generations will need to either pay higher taxes, face higher than normal inflation, seriously limit the benefits received from the government, or some combination of those. Hence, lower standard of living.

While I’m not normally a Krugman fan, his article on Baby Boomers (and wonderful “Pig in the Python” imagery) is relevant to this discussion (even though it’s from years ago): http://www.nytimes.com/2000/06/21/opinion/reckonings-the-pig-in-the-python.html

Kid should have took that offer and stayed home for a couple years. 42K when you are staying with your parents is straight baller status. And why did he tell his parents he got the offer? I wouldn’t have said shit if I was going to turn the offer down. In fact, coming out of school I turned down an offer that was not what I needed, and I had to look for 3 more months. You think I told my parents? Hellz no.