Another back office position?

Investment Analysis Group- Entry Level – Position Description Firm is seeking an entry level member to join our Investment Analysis Group. The Investment Analysis Group is responsible for assisting the Capital Markets Group with the quantitative aspects of portfolio management associated with our leveraged investment funds. Fund assets comprise a broad range of high yield bonds, institutional leveraged bank loans, synthetic and private mezzanine securities. Primary responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to: - Maintaining portfolio profile tests, - Modeling fund trading scenarios, debt expense and covenants, - Performing as a liaison with Bloomberg information services and internal Ares groups, - Calculating fund cash flow & investment return projections, - Analyzing various fund performance metrics, - Monitoring the accounting and analytics systems to ensure the reliability of data used by the group, and - Responding to portfolio manager requests for ad-hoc analysis. Technical training will include our systems and tools for tracking funds assets, projecting fund cash flow and investment returns, and identifying system data errors. The member will be exposed to the range of deal functions including the formation and launch of structured alternative investment funds and their related economics, the workings of the capital markets and asset trading. Job Specifications – Required Skills and Education: - Four year college degree, 1 or more years working in a financial services institution, broker dealer, asset management, investment bank, hedge fund, and functional experience working in financial advisory, research or account management. - Ideal candidate will demonstrate strong research, analytical skills and attention to detail. - Must be proficient in Excel. Familiarity with Bloomberg, CDO Suite, Portia, and IMAKE/Intex a plus. Is this another back office position?

I’m in BO. This looks like MO. Not a bad entry level position IMO.

I’m in BO for the past 2 years. I need to start looking for something better. Where do you work at KJH?

I work at a SMA Asset Manager. I’m looking to jump too. However I’m waiting on Level 1 results. Been here 1.5 years.

I’m waiting for my level 3 results, but I don’t think it will make much of a difference in terms of helping me get a position. Got to start looking now that I have a lot of free time.

If this is BO I would be happy taking a BO position :wink: Looks like some good experience can be gained from this.

Best of luck. I would imagine with Level 3 completed you would have a great shot at a great position, one much more dynamic than this.

looks like an entry-level middle-office position. i don’t think this is back office.

This definitely seems like MO.

i’d agree on middle office…i also just wanted to advise, from personal experience, that you don’t sit around and wait for level 1 results before you start looking. it’s not going to make much more of a difference saying you passed level 1 instead of saying you just sat for level 1 and are awaiting results. also, you may have gotten your results by the time you get some traction and get any serious interviews

Young_Prof Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i’d agree on middle office…i also just wanted > to advise, from personal experience, that you > don’t sit around and wait for level 1 results > before you start looking. it’s not going to make > much more of a difference saying you passed level > 1 instead of saying you just sat for level 1 and > are awaiting results. also, you may have gotten > your results by the time you get some traction and > get any serious interviews Thanks. I’ve been casually looking, but I think I’ll kick it up a notch. You really don’t think it makes a difference to a future employer?

makes no difference. i passed level I of the CFA and had it on my resume for some time, but decided to take it off after i felt that my resume would look better with broader margins instead. (true story)

Thanks Numi, Looks like I’ll be touching base with some contacts and cruising monster tonight.

btw not saying that you should take it OFF your resume – rather, my personal anecdote was intended to reflect the relative unimportance of it. i had a fair amount of other finance stuff on my resume which is why it made sense to remove it – not to mention that i had about a dozen private equity interviews and not once did anyone ever ask me about my participation in the CFA program. in your case, if you feel that it adds a lot of value to your resume, definitely keep it – just be sure that you’re not banking on passing level 1 to be your golden touch, because your prospective employers certainly aren’t banking on passing level 1 to turn a prospective employee into superman.

yea, numi is dead on. i sat for level 2 on saturday and have also been interviewing. a year ago, i was also under the impression that level 1 candidacy/success would make a huge difference but it didn’t. at all. furthermore, this year, level 2 candidacy is of course a good thing to mention during interviews, but it hasn’t made a huge difference. i think the main point you should make during your interviews, regardless of the cfa level you are about to take or awaiting results for, is that you are very interested in finance for the long term and that the cfa program has served to confirm both your abilities and your interest in finance (or accounting, or portfolio mgmt, or whatever). also, identical to what numi said, it’s always me who brings up the cfa program during interviews. although my current candidacy is on my resume, i haven’t had any interviewers mention it before i did.

That’s actually more analytical than most MO roles

i always thought that analytics was a big part of MO roles? no?