another degree?

Hi, I need some advice. I am graduating with an econ degree in June. GPA isn’t great due to a lack of discipline. I’m registered to take CFA lvl 1 in June and I’m gonna study my ass off for it. My question is whether I should go for a bcom as well (study hard and graduate with a respectable GPA) or is another undergrad a waste of time? Thanks in advance!

dont know what a bcom is but i personally would do an MBA rather than do undergrad business major. If u score extremely well on your GMATS i think they can look past your GPA…hope this helps a little

dont know what a bcom is but i personally would do an MBA rather than do undergrad business major. If u score extremely well on your GMATS i think they can look past your GPA…hope this helps a little

Thanks for your response. bcom = bachelor of commerce… sorry for not making that clear. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Get enough degrees and they can start playing Scrabble on your tombstone.

Is your GPA good enough to do a masters in something finance or business related? You might be able to do a one year diploma course if they aren’t and then do your masters. I assume you are young if you’re just finishing your undergrad. I wouldn’t be in a rush to enter this job market. Improve you qualifications as best you can and see how things are in a year’s time. I personally wouldn’t see the point in doing another undergrad degree unless you wanted to completely change focus and practise medicine for example. Best of luck with it anyway.

I dont think my GPA is good enough to do a masters in finance. Good idea though about that one year diploma course, I will look into it! Thank you!

if you work on the CFA program right now, distinguish yourself in the field, and ace the GMAT/GRE you can probably get into a good grad program despite your GPA

Look into a MaCC (masters of accounting). Those people (at my school anyway) feed right into the big 4 auditors. Plus, they do a paid internship duringthe school year that significantly offsets cost of tuition.

So basically there is an agreement that doing an undergrad in business won’t be too beneficial for me? (Remember I will have a degree in econ soon) supersharpshooter: Just to clarify, you’re suggesting that I get into the workforce and concentrate on finishing all 3 levels of CFA first and then write the GMAT afterwards? Thanks for all your replies, again it is much appreciated!

ineedadviceplz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So basically there is an agreement that doing an > undergrad in business won’t be too beneficial for > me? (Remember I will have a degree in econ soon) > > supersharpshooter: Just to clarify, you’re > suggesting that I get into the workforce and > concentrate on finishing all 3 levels of CFA first > and then write the GMAT afterwards? > > Thanks for all your replies, again it is much > appreciated! in no particular order, they’re just suggestions on how to distinguish yourself and give peple the incentive to look past your gpa when you’re applying to grad school

if you’re not disciplined enough to work hard while in school, how are you going to get through the cfa exams? school is a structured learning environment, while the cfa exams are all self study. sounds like you have an uphill battle ahead of you

NO MORE DEGREES! its a bachelors…get over it and git working boy!!

dspapo: I never said that I am still undisciplined. I learned my lesson and things have improved significantly for me, however I would be lying to say that my past lack of discipline isn’t coming back to bite me in the ass. SkipE99: YES SIR!! lol I got a lot of good suggestions from you guys and I’ll consider them all. Thanks!

Go get some experience. Even if you ace the GMAT, you probably won’t be considered seriously for a top tier MBA program without some good work experience.

2timecharlie, CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Go get some experience. > > Even if you ace the GMAT, you probably won’t be > considered seriously for a top tier MBA program > without some good work experience. acing GMAT is an easy part

I would get a master in math. That would give you an extra dimension when you finally figure out what you want to do. You can’t go wrong with a master in applied math, it’s like money in the bank.

People’s ability to work and dedication changes throughout their life. If you were a slacker in college, there’s no reason you can’t be more disciplined in later life when one is taking CFA exams or doing grad school.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would get a master in math. That would give you > an extra dimension when you finally figure out > what you want to do. > > You can’t go wrong with a master in applied math, > it’s like money in the bank. i dunno what kind of school you’re talking about but over here if you’re going to do a masters in applied math you are required to already have some fundamental understanding of math that doesn’t really come with a business or econ degree for example i doubt many econ majors would be able to solve the heat equation (partial de’s, stochastic calc)

The heat equation? Isn’t that related to the two body problem?