Another Retaker

Hi Everyone. I’m not one to write posts on AF, but decided that I should this time.

I failed. Its a horrible, horrible feeling. This was my second time taking level 3 - got band 8, previous year was band -3. Both results have kind of been a slap in the face. This time I definitely felt more prepared, was calm, actually thought the AM portion of the exam wasn’t bad. I recall feeling particularly drained in the afternoon session, but not the level of a fail. But anywho, here I am.

I wanted to share my experience because its been really encouraging reading about other who’ve retaken this exam once, twice, even thrice, preserved and finally made it. So guys, if you didn’t make it this time, remember you are not alone, and that if you’ve got this far, you can pass this thing!

I could probably give some long depth analysis of where I went wrong in 2012. But in the end, I realized that it all boils down to one thing for me…lack of motivation. Yes, of course i studied hard, probably put in the 300 hours or so, sat a couple of mocks (and passed btw). But it took me a long time to get serious. In January, I was still debating whether or not to do this. If I can say one thing to other candidates thinking of retaking the exam, be 100% sure you want to do this. You can’t be on the fence, because you should know that if you are 90% convinced, its the 10% thats going to cause you to fail. Seriously, its that 10% that makes you a little bit lazy…“oh, i’'ll sit 3 mocks instead of a bazillion”, “oh, i didnt study my 15-20 hours this week but ill make up for it”, “it’ll be easier this time round…”. Honestly, if you don’t feel it, even after trying to psych yourself up, don’t bother. You’ve got to respect this exam and give it your all.

Another thing, if you felt totally drained after the exam…like for 2 weeks post exam you were just exhausted, and you didn’t pass…I promise you it wont be as bad the second time round :slight_smile: that was part of my big “dread”.

So how am I feeling? Pretty depressed to be honest. But yet, I have more motivation to resit this thing this year. I could literally start studying today. Perhaps I’m angry, before CFA I had never failed an exam in my life, my college gpa was 3.84, everyone thinks ( or used to at least) that I was supersmart. Oh yeah, thats another problem, don’t think cos you were some kick ass student before you can cut corners…ok a few of you can…small minority methinks.

Within a month I’ll make my decision. Although I feel ready now, I don’t want to act prematurely.

This post is way longer than I intended it to be. I just wanted people to know, that there are others out there.

Find your fighting spirit, make sure its right, start early, and kill this thing!!! I wish all of you retakers good luck and sincerely hope you pass!!

P.S oh yes, I’m turning 30 in a few months…can I just say, make adjustments for getting older. Within the same of a year, I could literally feel the loss in memory retention. People had warned me about this.

+1

I like your point on “being 100% you will do it”

yoda said it best: do, or do not. there is no try.

It’s not the worst situation in the world - you’re making progress. I know someone who took L3 four times. Four years in a row of only L3 … imagine that. This person passed L1 and L2 with no problem … and after four years of only taking L3 … said that the ‘juice was much sweeter’ after the long journey to get the CFA charter. You’re going to appreciate it a lot more than the guy who just breezed through and took all of the exams in 18 mo.

^ +1.

Passed levels 1 and 2 from first attempts. Never failed a single exam in my whole life. Honors list since school. High achiever and hard working at work. Yet i failed band 4 :slight_smile: I’ve put in more than 600 hours and Yes i failed… . Saving up the money and hoping to register before end of August. Now things turned personal =)

I know A LOT about what you mean by “loss in memory retention”. I will be 50 in a few months. Just passed Level III in my 2nd attempt, passed L1 and L2 in first tries. Here are my suggestions regarding the memory retention issue:

1. Use early morning hours for memorization. I normally put in 1.5 to 2 hours of study before heading to work I have a very demanding job as an IT executive in a financial service company. Forcing my brain to memorize stuff when it’s still clear in the morning helped me.

2. Review the same subject multiple times to help retain it. Need to put in tons of hard work. No easy way out.

Through hard work and a bit of luck you will kill this beast!

It has nothing to do with age. You just need to modify your approach.

I’m old also. just study when you are clear. Personally I’m not as sharp as I was since my undergraudate days but I know I manage time better now. So, you can do it.

Keep pushing. Third time was the charm for me after a band 3 and a band 5. Second time around getting a band 5 crushed me. I thought I was prepared. After the way I worked this year, it turns out I wasn’t. Work harder than the next guy and you will pass it. I know there is an element of luck, but each level I passed it was because I was better prepared, plain and simple.

See you here next year in better spirits.

Hey guys, thanks for the encouragement. Like I said, I’m feeling much better about going through this again this year…for many reasons. My post was really just to say, there are afew of us out there, 48% of L3 takers be exact, and we just gotta find the motivation to do this thing!! I’m sure they are few people trolling this site and feeling low. So you know, be depressed, but then get mad and get EVEN:)

@ Bilal, I like your attitude! Yes things are personal for me too at this stage!!

@ ML - wasn’t saying that age is the main thing that let me down. That was just a quick endnote. But based on others comments, its certainly is something to make adjustments for.

@ NETiger, thanks for the tip. I’ll definitely schedule most of my study hours for the am. Had a mix of am & late nights before.

@ goes to eleven - well done! The victory must be sweet!!

^ Hope we’ll enjoy victory next week :slight_smile: … when are you planning to start?

You’ll be find disco5. I’m 31, had my first child in Jan., put in as much work as I possibly could while working and playing daddy and failed band 10. Upon notification there was disappointment which disappated over the day. I did everything I could to prepare for the exam so to let the disappointment carry over would mean I felt like there was more I could have done. Since that wasn’t the case I was able to let it go, sign up for the 2013 exam the next day and I got my books in the mail today. I have a game plan and I plan on passing in 2013. You’ll do the same.

I’ll start in earnest mid-september I think. I’ve got to wait till the end of the month to order books.

Will probably do some light review before then. You?

Oh! So close, you’ll definitely get it. A baby is a huge distraction, well done for seeing it through

1st week of september i hope. I’m sticking to CFAI books this time. Read, solve blue boxes, prepare notes, then solve EOC and move on… till december.

January-February: Revision + EOC Again …

March / April: Schweser Mocks + Old CFAI Mocks + Morning sessions.

May: take the mock released by CFAI, revision of EOC and old mocks… and im HOPING im HOPING id be able to save enough to travel to the US for the bootcamp… gona cost me around 3k.

deleted

Analti_Calte_Equity wrote:

It’s not the worst situation in the world - you’re making progress. I know someone who took L3 four times. Four years in a row of only L3 … imagine that. This person passed L1 and L2 with no problem … and after four years of only taking L3 … said that the ‘juice was much sweeter’ after the long journey to get the CFA charter. You’re going to appreciate it a lot more than the guy who just breezed through and took all of the exams in 18 mo.

It looks that someone is me :slight_smile: My journery was similar. Passed L1 and L2 on the first try and failed L3 3 times.

L1 Dec 2007 Pass

L2 June 2008 Pass

L3 - 2009 band 10 … 2010 Band 9 … 2011 band 9 … 2012 Pass.

disco5 - Don’t give up and all the best with your preparation and BTW I am older than you :slight_smile: