Any Analysts Here?

If so, I am really curious about how you got your job - what school you went to, what jobs you had before, etc. Also, what kind of skills / qualifications help right now? I am just curious what steps people take to get there.

goat herding school, grad goat herding school, assistant to head goat herder, being a goat herder is something u have to really enjoy, the hours are long and the starting pay is low plus they ask you to od the odd menial task but i cant magine another profesion

@avraell, You should always specify when you use the term “financial analyst”, do you mean: 1. Corporate Financial Analyst (Treasury, Cash mgmt/forecasting, internal financial consolidation, operations) 2. Financial Reporting Analyst (external role is a glorified accountant, internal role is heavy on budget analysis) 3. Equity/Portfolio Financial Analyst (this is what the CFA is geared towards, entry level is an excel monkey) Obviously I’m making broad generalization but it paints a decent picture. Which one are you referring to?

All of them to be honest - I know it’s a broad question. I just see a lot of people who graduated recently with excellent grades (finance majors) not getting jobs and I am curious if it’s just my “sample” so to speak. There are also seem to be a lot of people with at least parts of their CFA and 7s/63s in the same boat.

Ok, I got one. A man walks into a bar and asks, “are there any analists here”. Someone replies, “No, but I am therapist.”. Hahaha… no? (quietly leaves).

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ok, I got one. A man walks into a bar and asks, > “are there any analists here”. Someone replies, > “No, but I am therapist.”. > > Hahaha… no? (quietly leaves). Let me know when i can laugh… umm ok?

comp_sci_kid = nerd ^ you can now laugh at that funny-because-it-is-so-true statement.

NO!

Nope. Def. not on this forum.

try no_analystforum.com

@avraell, Don’t mind everyone on this forum; they are not the most patient bunch of people. To answer your question I would say, how to get into finance in order of prominence: 1. Network/Know someone (This is how I got in) 2. School Network/Career Center 3. Internships (This is related to #1) 4. Tenacity (This is also how I got in; when I was looking I would email CFA members in my area asking for advise) 5. Take an Accounting job as a stepping stone to a finance job (Not talking about AP/AR jobs, stay away from these jobs unless you’re desperate, these jobs tend to pigeon hole you)

Zesty Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > @avraell, Don’t mind everyone on this forum; they > are not the most patient bunch of people. > > To answer your question I would say, how to get > into finance in order of prominence: > > 1. Network/Know someone (This is how I got in) > > 2. School Network/Career Center > > 3. Internships (This is related to #1) > > 4. Tenacity (This is also how I got in; when I was > looking I would email CFA members in my area > asking for advise) > > 5. Take an Accounting job as a stepping stone to a > finance job (Not talking about AP/AR jobs, stay > away from these jobs unless you’re desperate, > these jobs tend to pigeon hole you) a headhunter ( Michael page, execu search etc) should be able to get you a MO position…just be persistent the jobs are out there…good luck