Any forums exclusively dedicated to CAIA

can anyone suggest any online forums for CAIA ?

how much value you all think this designation is losing these days?

dirtydirty Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > how much value you all think this designation is > losing these days? is this suppose to be a sarcastic comment?

Don’t know of any to be honest. I have both CFA & CAIA, but I completed the CAIA in 06. Expect there may be some new places as there are lots of people taking it. I recommend you post questions here as there are a lot of posters who have it/are doing it. Same for the FRM. I’m sure you will get most the answers you need. What’s the quote - if you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What’s the quote - if you think education is > expensive, try ignorance. Agreed. It’s like these idiots only want to do a designation if a precise dollar amount can be attached to it. I mean, seriously, how expensive is the CAIA designation really, compared to tuition in a single semester at a private university? Also, one trivial blip of a market move could easily cost 10x or 100x the CAIA cost. Thankfully there are so many proactively ignorant and stupid people out there who go on the finance path, otherwise the CFA would have a higher completion rate than the 19%.

I think it is funny that there are all of these holier than thou people taking the CAIA and saying it is for “education” and not “$$$” when if someone wanted to really learn about alternative investments they could do so by doing some research and finding the 2-3 really great books on the subject rather than using some cookie cutter designation. And that would probably be at 1/10 of the cost of the CAIA. Personally, I was interested in alternative investmens and did research on my own but if I decide to ever pursue the CAIA it will purely be because I think it can help me get a better job (Which I doubt it ever will). Until then I’m good with just the CFA and experience at a BB.

I have both the CFA and CAIA. I think it is worth the time and the money, especially if your employer is paying for it. For me, learning via a designation or some program that has a test at the end incentivizes me to learn quicker and deeper than if I were just sitting and reading the books for pure pleasure.

i pass CAIA level 1 and CFA Level 1. doing CFa 2 now. is there significant overlap in CFA 2 and CAIA 2?

In all fairness i can understand wanting to do it for education. Personally I think the structured approach helps. I forced myself to learn alot in the CFA curriculum that is applicable in finance that I likely wouldn’t have learned in ‘personal study.’ There’s a reason why a resume full of ‘self taught’ skills is a tough sell…and very often it’s with good reason.

RAwannabeCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think it is funny that there are all of these > holier than thou people taking the CAIA and saying > it is for “education” and not “$$$” when if > someone wanted to really learn about alternative > investments they could do so by doing some > research and finding the 2-3 really great books on > the subject rather than using some cookie cutter > designation. > And that would probably be at 1/10 of the cost of > the CAIA. > > Personally, I was interested in alternative > investmens and did research on my own but if I > decide to ever pursue the CAIA it will purely be > because I think it can help me get a better job > (Which I doubt it ever will). Until then I’m good > with just the CFA and experience at a BB. So why didn’t you just borrow someone’s Schweser notes and put down on your resume: RAwannabeCFA, studied for CFA (schweser notes, borrowed) That’s like free.

im doing CAIA 2 in march and I find value in it. I learned some good things on level 1