any gay or lesbian CFA candidates?

Don’t paint all devout Christians with that brush; with some of us there would be no stress at all, at least not because of your sexuality.

(There might be if you’re a twit, but that’s another matter altogether.)

You are right, I do have some devout Christian friends who are also “gay friendly”, and hopefully most of you guys are too, but I didn’t want to risk my job at that time, so I didn’t play with the probability. Not getting into the details.

No, I think he’s stating the opposite, one has to hide his lgbtness for not being discriminated against, which is more likely what’s going on there. Personally I’ve never seen things like “Yeah, our returns suck, but we’re the premier glbt firm in the investment community.” Quite to the contrary, I know many professionals have to hide their lgbtness in office while their straight fellows can openly talk about straight sex.

Also if return performance is truly what’s all about, what about ethics? Which counts how many percent in the CFA exam? And don’t you have to sign the form every year to qualify continuing your charter?

What’s interesting is that I did see a fund manger making statement like “our return is lower because we can’t invest in certain industries that are forbidded under the Islamic law” which I think it could be quite legitimate. I can certainly imagine some Muslim clients would prefer a Muslim manager who invest according to the Islamic law, even if that means lower returns. I’m also also pretty sure many religious people won’t like the idea of having a gay advisor, no matter how professional he is. An extreme example, religion police in the Middle East won’t want one of the top managers to manage their pension fund, but want him dead instead, because he’s gay. Well, bad example, because he will probably get killed before ever becomes a manager.

To be clear, your former boss created stress _ despite _ being a devout Christian, not _ because of _ being a devout Christian.

His sort give devout Christians a bad reputation.

I would disagree. If she stopped preaching about certain Christian values and referencing the bible (you know those parts) in the office, I would have felt differently. However, I do understand that it’s might be her habit and she didn’t even realize the issue because most of the clients are from the church and are same as her. I left anyway.

You may disagree, but a devout Christian knows when to shut up. And can quote you Chapter and Verse (Matt. 10:14, Luke 9:5) on the subject.

She’s the boss so I guess that’s her office/company?

And, therefore, a good thing that you left.

Still, what she did isn’t biblical. By a long shot.

The whole point of Christianity is to to get to heaven and help other people to get there. By ‘His wounds we are healed’ Isaiah 53:5. Any judging or stress from a devout Christian is either self induced or the person is not a real Christian. As shown by Muslim extremists, hate tactics don’t work.

Im Christian but have had some divides arise in recent years between friends in the LGBT community because of miscommunication and just hate to see it. Christians aren’t all the hate mongers with posters yelling at rallies. They are there to help you with whatever you need.

I was actually surprised with the amount of women taking the exam (L1 NYC) I figured it would be way less. Probably 25-30% were women.

More to the point of this post: everyone is getting bent out of shape about things I think this would be an EXCELLENT way to network. Networking starts with linking up with people, getting to know them etc. What can it hurt to try and find some people that you share a commonality with like being a member of the LGBTQ community. I am sure many people have been through the same life experience as you, and can build a strong network together.

I’m a minority, African American, so I’m doing my part to bring a little soul to the CFA :). I don’t care about your sexuality either (I don’t live in CA, tho), but I do know some people I’ve worked around in the past do (none I’ve witnessed at my current job). Probably not enough to stop you from making that sweet green bro, and my first name was mentioned as one of the least desirable names to have on a resume.

The CEO of the biggest company in the U.S (Apple) is gay, so you can find success. Keep grinding bro!

I think the question would be, after you find the gays or lesbians pursuing CFA…then what?

^The answer is painfully obvious.

#GroupStudy

I hear you. I have often wondered the same. Most people will give it an entirely irrelevant direction (CFA hookup? That’s the best you could come up with?)

Coming back to the main point. I’m based in Asia (Lahore) so if you want a remote study partner (makes so much sense amid coronavirus outbreak ) than hit me up

I suspect that, five years after the original post, your kind offer is a bit too late to be of much practical value.