Any guess on what the 08 L3 pass rate would be?

Looking at historical pass rates, there is a good chance that the 2008 L3 pass rate will be above 50% if we revert to the mean. Yr % Passed ---- ------ 2001 82 2002 58 2003 68 2004 64 2005 55 2006 76 2007 50 2008 60-65 ?? Any guesses?

it will be 56%

62%

50%

50% @ max

55%

-32% they will demote 1/3 of us to level II.

It will be probably similar to 2006 (76%). I noticed that when there were many L3 candidates, passing rate were high. (so CFAI don’t have burden to accumulate too many L3 candidate in following year) Large # of L3 candidates can decrease 1% cut-off score so 70% of 1% should be pretty low relative to that of small population. With 50% pass rate last year, I assume there are lots of L3 takers including re-takers this year, which will increase pass-rate up to 70-80%. Otherwise, we will have lots lots of L3 takers in 2009. They need to reasonably maintain the size of L3 candidates. This is my HOPE and thought.

54%

No more than 60%… I feel they want to bring it down consistently cos befire people used to understimate L3 for its much higher pass rate.

65%

cfamaster2005 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It will be probably similar to 2006 (76%). I > noticed that when there were many L3 candidates, > passing rate were high. (so CFAI don’t have burden > to accumulate too many L3 candidate in following > year) Large # of L3 candidates can decrease 1% > cut-off score so 70% of 1% should be pretty low > relative to that of small population. With 50% > pass rate last year, I assume there are lots of L3 > takers including re-takers this year, which will > increase pass-rate up to 70-80%. Otherwise, we > will have lots lots of L3 takers in 2009. They > need to reasonably maintain the size of L3 > candidates. This is my HOPE and thought. Another option is to constrict the # of people who pass L2. That is another way to control how many L3 test takers there are.

With so many new candidates globally (i.e. asia, africa), I would think the CFAI would want to make the pass rates easier so as to get more CFA charter presence globally. I wonder if they made the Asia exam easier than the US/Europe exam. I assume that 3rd world and undeveloped countries may have trouble with writing english grammatically in L3. Otherwise, the people in the other countries may think this exam is too hard to even pass given their handicap.

i’ll bet you the dudes in india and china will cream this exam - regardless of their language skills. they just love studying out there - momma and poppa whup your butt if you fail out there.

rohufish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i’ll bet you the dudes in india and china will > cream this exam - regardless of their language > skills. they just love studying out there - momma > and poppa whup your butt if you fail out there. That’s true, I wrote at a test center where the majority were Indian and asian. I couldn’t believe the amount of test takers who came with their parents. In contrast, don’t think my parents even know I was studying and writing the exam!

. > > I wonder if they made the Asia exam easier than > the US/Europe exam. I assume that 3rd world and > undeveloped countries may have trouble with > writing english grammatically in L3. Otherwise, > the people in the other countries may think this > exam is too hard to even pass given their > handicap. are you simply ignorant or just patronizing?. there’s not many points for classical grammar on these tests. plus,native english speakers dont necessarily write grammatically correct all the time.

sh34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > With so many new candidates globally (i.e. asia, > africa), I would think the CFAI would want to make > the pass rates easier so as to get more CFA > charter presence globally. > > I wonder if they made the Asia exam easier than > the US/Europe exam. I assume that 3rd world and > undeveloped countries may have trouble with > writing english grammatically in L3. Otherwise, > the people in the other countries may think this > exam is too hard to even pass given their > handicap. That is a stupid comment.

rohufish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i’ll bet you the dudes in india and china will > cream this exam - regardless of their language > skills. they just love studying out there - momma > and poppa whup your butt if you fail out there. This is also a stupid comment. The Stupidity Police.

I don’t find it that stupid… I was really jealous when I saw how many mother and fathers hugging and kissing 28 yr. old junior before and after he/she were entering/exiting the exam hall.

I think english is not an issue to takers. If English was an issue, they couldn’t have reached L3. I also heard that passing rate in China is even higher than the rate in the states, which underscore the fact that english is not an issue to those people who takes CFA tests. Besides,we are not competiting with normal people there. We are competiting with top smart candidates in those countries,which make CFA test even tougher. As I remember during my MBA years, Chinese and Indian students are killers in test. If CFA test includes oral presentation, native speakers should have some edge but not for the written test.