Any New Yorkers out there?

What is the quickest way to get to LaGuardia from Penn Station? What travel time can I expect if I need to be at LGA around 5:30-5:45pm on a weekday? Thanks.

A shuttle directly goes from Penn station/Grand Central/Port Authority. Travel time depends on traffic. It may take around 1.5 hr to reach LGA.

Dial 7 limo, its like $35+tip. On the cheaper side, I know there’s shuttles going from penn station to LGA. I think those are ~$15, but I’ve never used them.

5:30-5:45 is also bad traffic time. Here’s info about LGA transit… look under buses for the bus schedule. There’s definitely one which leaves from Port Authority Bus Terminal (one subway stop up from Penn Station). There might be one that leaves from Penn as well. http://www.ny.com/transportation/airports/LGA.html Taxi would probably be faster than a bus, but substantially more expensive (like 3x-4x).

Thank you all for the responses. The objective is to get there as quickly as possible, regardless of how much it costs (well as long as it’s say below $100). I was really hoping I wouldn’t have to budget an hour to travel the whopping 9 miles from Penn Station to LGA, but I guess traffic is something that can’t be ignored. Was also looking into travel options from Newark Liberty International to LGA, and was hoping they’d have a train link shuttle or something but no such luck. All I can find is bus shuttles. If anyone has experience in this regard (quickest way to get to LGA from either Penn station or Newark Liberty during rush hour), please do share. Thanks again for all the help, you guys are awesome.

If the question is what is the quickest way to get there, the answer is indisputable - a helicopter. Little pricey though: http://www.nysubway.com/airport/laguardia.html#limo

if fast is the goal during rush hour I would take the 7 express train @ times square and taxi it in from 74 Street-Broadway /Roosevelt Av (its ~20 min) taxi should be quick as its only 2 miles and you avoided/ bridge tunnel traffic. Won’t save that much time but if you are traveling light is pretty simple.

If money is no object, take a taxi, they’re usually lined up outside Penn Station around that time. Budget 1.5 hours during rush hour. It’s taken me up to 3 hours to make the trip from Midtown to JFK (a little further than LGA, but not much) in bad traffic.

JFK is significantly further than LGA. I know you said you’re going to be at Penn, but if at all possible, start from as far east on Manhattan as you can, as it can take a good chunk of time just to get across town. From the midtown tunnel it can/should be less than 30 minutes even at rush hour.

That’s why I said budget 1.5 hours instead of 3 hours, dipstick.

SMIRK Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > That’s why I said budget 1.5 hours instead of 3 > hours, dipstick. Even that’s excessive.

Thanks all! akanska, great idea - was hoping someone would suggest something around those lines. Any idea how long it takes on the train from times sqr to 74 Street-Broadway / Roosevelt Av I can’t find that on mta.info Also, would express train 7 be quicker vs taking train F from Bryant Park and getting off at JACKSON HTS - ROOSEVELT AV STA and cabbing it from there? I don’t even think 7 express stops at 74 Street-Broadway / Roosevelt Av. From what I see, I think it stops at Junction Boulevard / Roosevelt Avenue, unless I’m missing something?

arielCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks all! > > akanska, great idea - was hoping someone would > suggest something around those lines. Any idea how > long it takes on the train from times sqr to 74 > Street-Broadway / Roosevelt Av I can’t find that > on mta.info > > Also, would express train 7 be quicker vs taking > train F from Bryant Park and getting off at > JACKSON HTS - ROOSEVELT AV STA and cabbing it from > there? > > I don’t even think 7 express stops at 74 > Street-Broadway / Roosevelt Av. From what I see, I > think it stops at Junction Boulevard / Roosevelt > Avenue, unless I’m missing something? use google maps to get time estimates.

arielCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks all! > > akanska, great idea - was hoping someone would > suggest something around those lines. Any idea how > long it takes on the train from times sqr to 74 > Street-Broadway / Roosevelt Av I can’t find that > on mta.info > > Also, would express train 7 be quicker vs taking > train F from Bryant Park and getting off at > JACKSON HTS - ROOSEVELT AV STA and cabbing it from > there? > > I don’t even think 7 express stops at 74 > Street-Broadway / Roosevelt Av. From what I see, I > think it stops at Junction Boulevard / Roosevelt > Avenue, unless I’m missing something? hmm- yeah skips but not the local and it takes(25 min): http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/t7cur.pdf

v would take~ same time I think- http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/schemain.htm

You don’t want to mess with the subways if you are in a rush, especially during rush hour. Just take a cab, it’ll take an hour-hour and a half at most.

akanska, do you recommend I take: 1) #7 local and get off at 74 Street-Broadway / Roosevelt Av, then cab it from there OR 2) #7 express and get off at Junction Boulevard and cab it from there? Any ideas how long the trip Times Sqr - LGA might take realistically, based on the above? How often are there accidents/delays in the subway? I know in Toronto and London, that happens quite a bit. king_kong, I know what you’re saying but as I mentioned, I’d like to avoid being stuck in traffic and having to budget 1.5 hrs to travel 9 miles.

I agree, just take a yellow cab - there are plenty of them to be had - if you left at 4:30PM, you should be able to get to LGA around 5:30-5:45PM with no problem. Otherwise, you can try teleporting.

justin88 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > SMIRK Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > That’s why I said budget 1.5 hours instead of 3 > > hours, dipstick. > > Even that’s excessive. You’re obviously not from New York.