Any reasonable place to live in NJ?

I want to move out of NYC as I make much less than before. I am thinking about Hoboken and Jersey City in NJ. My criteria is: easy commute to the city, no car is needed to get around and nice neighborhood. Any suggestions? Is it possible pay $1000 for a studio? Thanks,

Hoboken is good. Also try Long Island City (not Jersey). Jersey City kinda scares me. I’d recommend finding a roomate or two if you want to pay that little. If money is your issue then you can probably find a one bedroom apartment on Staten Island which would actually be very nice, but commute would just suck.

I heard Newark is pretty nice.

You need to factor in the cost to get to and from NJ into NYC into your budget. You save on rent but you increase your cost of commuting/transportation.

Sean–do you leave your car doors unlocked when you park there?

Brooklyn seems closer to downtown than hoboken and you can avoid the path train ( I hate that ride) also, the people I know that live in brooklyn come out to NYC on the weekends, but the Hoboken people hardly ever venture out of NJ on weekends

This is my favorite pasttime in Newark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeqPdplBlSA

the show NY Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sean–do you leave your car doors unlocked when > you park there? hahaha, it was a joke. Im sure there are decent places in Brooklyn or Queens to rent. When I was in NYC it felt like I could jump on a train and get anywhere in 20-30 minutes, I definitely wouldn’t own a car if I lived there.

MFE22 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I want to move out of NYC as I make much less than > before. I am thinking about Hoboken and Jersey > City in NJ. My criteria is: easy commute to the > city, no car is needed to get around and nice > neighborhood. Any suggestions? Is it possible pay > $1000 for a studio? > > Thanks, Why not Brooklyn? You can get a place for that amount in Park slope area, or a larger place as you go further out.

Check out the Midtown Direct train. You can move out into the 'burbs and live like a grown up. The train can have you into the city in under 25 minutes (unless you live far out). Seriously though, I went to high school in Montclair, NJ. This is what everyone I know that works in NYC and has a family does.

As someone who used to live in NYC and moved to NJ who then thought about moving back into NYC, i think i can chime in a little… First off, i’m married with 2 boys so my situation is probably a lot different than yours. Anyways, the wifey and i were talking recently about moving back to nyc to be closer to friends and family (not that we’re that far from them as it is). As factoring in the cost differentials of living in NJ vs NYC, it made no sense financially to move back to nyc. First off, I would once again be hit with the NYC income tax (which is $300/month for me). In addition to that, my commuting costs would go up (i paid ~$52/month for the PATH versus having to pay $103/monthly metrocard). My car insurance premium would probably double if i moved into the city. the biggest dealbreaker for me is i’d have to pay more money for a comparably sized house. space is a biggie for me and my wife being that we have 2 little boys running around. With that said, hoboken or downtown jc or the newport area will probably be ideal for you. it’s a renters market so don’t be shy in trying to negotiate the rent down.

I don’t know if you’ll find much for $1000. I’d look for a roomate.

Re: Any reasonable place to live in NJ? new Posted by: SeanC (IP Logged) [hide posts from this user] Date: April 19, 2009 07:34PM I heard Newark is pretty nice. From who? Stevie Wonder?

“I heard Newark is pretty nice.” WTF??? are you on weed! I stay in Jersey City.

was his post on 4/20? If so, you may win the prize for being a great MB detective

hahaha, im from BC but i rarely smoke

If you want to live closer you can try Pavonia are of jersey city. Or secaucus which is the last stop in jersey before nyc. With $1000, you can find a decent studio. Infact, private rentals can cost you even less. If you want to save more, you can try New Brunswick, safe area and cheaper with express trains to NYC.

surveyinn Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you want to live closer you can try Pavonia are > of jersey city. Or secaucus which is the last stop > in jersey before nyc. With $1000, you can find a > decent studio. Infact, private rentals can cost > you even less. > > If you want to save more, you can try New > Brunswick, safe area and cheaper with express > trains to NYC. New Brunswick is effin FAR. Plus, you need a car to get around the neighborhood.

I live in Jersey City and can tell you that the place has really changed just in the last 5 years that I have been here. If you want to get an idea of a few good areas just take the path train and get out at Pavonia/New Port, Exchange Place, or Grove Street. All are nice places to live but you should be able to find a studio for about $1000 around the Grove Street path station.

You can pay 1000 for a 1 bedroom up in Westchester County.