Anyone been riding the bull?

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > akanska Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I’m enjoying the tax free income :slight_smile: > > Classic akanska. what do you mean by that mister?? yeah- my friend’s reaction was ‘muni’s are for grandmas’ but I’m pretty sure my risk adjusted return beats most out there. I dare you to find an insured investment yielding 14% post tax on invested capital! You might be braver than I but I don’t make your salary. She was up 200% early in the year but lost it pretty fast- now grandma looks pretty good to her ; )

I’ve avoided munis because so much of municipal revenue comes from property tax (and to some extent, sales tax). There are a few cities like NYC where revenue comes from income tax too. All of these sources are expected to fall dramatically, and cities invested in a lot of infrastructure and services during the boom. I think the threat of default is substantial here. However, that’s probably not for another year or so, so maybe I should have bought them after all.

akanska Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > iheartiheartmath Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > akanska Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > I’m enjoying the tax free income :slight_smile: > > > > Classic akanska. > > > what do you mean by that mister?? > It’s a term of endearment. If you had said you were blowing all your money on jewelry and cars then I would’ve said that doesn’t sound like akanska at all.

Apropos to nothing much, I just took down my positions. I’m thinking double dip too and I have done ok thus far. There will be a time to ride again.

Market’s going gangbusters again today. I would hate to be sitting out of this, or even worse, short.

ymmt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Market’s going gangbusters again today. I would > hate to be sitting out of this, or even worse, > short. Exactly…that’s what is making it so hard to get out. Dow 10,000 is looking to be imminent.

Up 26% YTD

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Apropos to nothing much, I just took down my > positions. I’m thinking double dip too and I have > done ok thus far. There will be a time to ride > again. I went 100% cash last week. I had VDC, IAU, FXI, AGG, EWG, EWM, DIA with the weights optimized in Matlab Protfolio. I based my decision on 4 factors: 1 - Insider selling/buying at all time high ( main reason) 2 - Huge run up ( don’t really know what that means, but everybody has been saying it, I know I will regret listening to the clowns, but we’re all human) 3 - Gold at all time high (can’t just be all because the dollar is tanking) 4 - Some chick I saw on Bloomberg (technical crap) was saying how the volumes are very thin and that’s not a good sign ( I was basically looking for a reason to pull the trigger). My portfolio is up 2% more since I cashed out, but no big deal, I’ll get in later at lower prices. Overall I (more accurately Matlab) beat my benchmark by 16% since late November 2007.

Thinking about purging my GE and TTM shares.

I forgot to mention one more reason why I got out now. September has been historically the worst month for stocks (doesn’t sound too smart but it’s true statement).

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I forgot to mention one more reason why I got out > now. September has been historically the worst > month for stocks (doesn’t sound too smart but it’s > true statement). I don’t think “usually” applies anymore.

I’ve started selling some calls and getting ready to take it up the butt if S&P hits 1100.

I’ve been very lazy about selling down my and my gf’s retirement investments the last couple weeks. That’s worked to our advantage. Going to do some selling tomorrow if market’s up again.

I’ve only got a few personal investments, which are currently doing well. My 401k is starting to get back into shape though after all of those losses…

biz9r5 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ve started selling some calls and getting ready > to take it up the butt if S&P hits 1100. I hope those are short-date calls…

I moved everything to an options-friendly broker, and have been cashing out the odd lots as they pop so I can get more call writing action. I’m up about 25% in the last few months, mostly on writing calls as RIMM tumbled. Getting some good action on AUY recently, and looking forward to a few moves coming into earnings.