Anyone ever used this software?

http://www.mathwave.com/easyfit-distribution-fitting.html I’m trying to get my company to abandon the Normal Distribution in favor of curve fitting other distributions to the data. I would absolutely love to learn how to use Matlab but I know damn well they will not shell out the $'s for a license so I figure maybe something like this product from mathwave may be a good first step.

check out palisade’s @risk tool, I don’t think one license would be expensive they have free trial as well

edgeraz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > check out palisade’s @risk tool, I don’t think one > license would be expensive > they have free trial as well I will probably just run a couple of free trials and see what I can do with them. Ideally I would be able to employ curve fitting, accurately model tail dependence between asset classes, and even correct for statistical pathologies in the return series.

jg1996business Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I will probably just run a couple of free trials > and see what I can do with them. Ideally I would > be able to employ curve fitting, accurately model > tail dependence between asset classes, and even > correct for statistical pathologies in the return > series. People use @Risk in my office mainly for distribution fitting, I have never used it because I find MatLab efficient enough for my requirements.

I’m starting to play with Octave as an inexpensive (free) alternative to MATLAB. It’s not 100% identical, but the syntax is very similar. Also it doesn’t seem to have a GUI, but otherwise can be helpful.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m starting to play with Octave as an inexpensive > (free) alternative to MATLAB. It’s not 100% > identical, but the syntax is very similar. Also > it doesn’t seem to have a GUI, but otherwise can > be helpful. I used Octave in college, its pretty efficient.

Took a look at Octave. I only wish I had paid more attention in my math courses in college so that I could understand half of what that software is doing.