Anyone feel this board is too caught up in details?

Might just be me, but I was surprised in L1 of the overall “big picture” approach CFAI took to the exam. Reading all these posts around here about the particular little bit of exception to each rule makes me think either 1- Some people just get too caught up in minor details while missing out on the CFAI approach; or 2- I will get crushed come Saturday. Anyway good luck to all.

what kind of details?

You know, how to value a swap, SFAS115, equity valuation, you know, minute shite. Alayle, the best way to find out if you’re set for Sat or not is to take a mock. Highly recommended.

I’m afraid of the mock…

I’m not too sure what are (is?) the mock exam? Are they the 30-questions exams from CFAI?

Wow, that really is taking the “big picture” concept to the extreme.

There’s one of them consisting of two parts, 100 for both or 60 each, they are 60 q’s each, 3 hours apeice. CFAI website, same as samples (which are the little one’s you’re thinking of). Samples are also great too if you’re short on time.

Sponge_Bob_CFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Wow, that really is taking the “big picture” > concept to the extreme. Was not being entirely serious.

dude. go check it out on the cfai website… i think they give you a good idea of what you can expect for a 100 bucks. really?

Sorry been out of the loop a bit. I’ve read the Schweser material and done 1,800 questions so far in their Q-Bank. I just completed the first 30 questions test from CFAI and score 80% which isn’t too bad I guess. Will check it out.

You know - understanding more is never going to hurt. Still, as it is impossible to know everything, and especially, learn everything at this point, I do agree that a step back to take in the big picture can help now. Do questions and know the calculations, but to the extent that the CFAI really wants to turn the screws and test exceptions and tricky details, well, I guess I’ll see on Sat. As my CFA charterholding friend said, no need to be a hero, just pass. It ultimately depends on how bad you want it. All that said, I think these boards do focus on the details because so many of you “get it.” I don’t, so I may be here again next year, but I don’t think everything here is necessary.

Free sample is not anything like the other samples or the mocks. Much easier.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Free sample is not anything like the other samples > or the mocks. Much easier. So you recommend paying for their more lenghty mocks ?

sterling76 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You know - understanding more is never going to > hurt. Still, as it is impossible to know > everything, and especially, learn everything at > this point, I do agree that a step back to take in > the big picture can help now. Do questions and > know the calculations, but to the extent that the > CFAI really wants to turn the screws and test > exceptions and tricky details, well, I guess I’ll > see on Sat. As my CFA charterholding friend said, > no need to be a hero, just pass. It ultimately > depends on how bad you want it. > > All that said, I think these boards do focus on > the details because so many of you “get it.” I > don’t, so I may be here again next year, but I > don’t think everything here is necessary. We’re not always drilling so deep because we have to, sometimes it’s just interesting, or sometimes by understanding the deeper details we get the bigger picture. Either way, I disagree with you on both going to deep and you failing, I’m pretty sure we’ll be seeing you in LIII next year.

Alayle Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Black Swan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Free sample is not anything like the other > samples > > or the mocks. Much easier. > > > So you recommend paying for their more lenghty > mocks ? If you have the time, yes.

And which Mock or Sample everybody was freaking out about ?

2 seems to be the problem, but apparently we agree that there is at least one on mock 1 (factor/macro model).

Sample 2 is the apparently the baddest of the bunch although with anything it all depends on your personal strengths. Most view it as the “worst case scenario”. Sample 3 I think is pretty indicative of the exam. Both mocks are great, I think pretty equally challenging, although some people lean towards mock 1 as being the more difficult of the two.

BS - I am really wondering if its worth it to take Mock 2 with all the problems (and possibly getting a bad score), maybe I am just bi*$$hing though. Is it worth it to take Mock 2?

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sample 2 is the apparently the baddest of the > bunch although with anything it all depends on > your personal strengths. Most view it as the > “worst case scenario”. Sample 3 I think is pretty > indicative of the exam. Both mocks are great, I > think pretty equally challenging, although some > people lean towards mock 1 as being the more > difficult of the two. Thanks, will most probably try a mock tomorrow night. No use for the 2 at this point I guess.