Anyone in the CMA program?

Any comments on its worth?

I forsee an ugly thread!!!

depends on what you want to do with you career. CMA is really focused on internal accounting: controls, compliance, auditing, etc. Although the CMA covers most of the same material, most firms that are hiring for these positions are looking for CPAs (just the way the industry is). From the perspective of someone going into IM, PE, or the like, the CMA designation probably won’t help much in hiring. I guess it could be useful for having a better understanding of how firms can distort their earnings and management quality. Nothing specifically against the CMA, but maybe it’s not worth the extra cost compared to the CFA charter. Then again, I’m a knowledge nerd, so I’m a level 3 CFA candidate, part way through the CMA curriculum, and will also likely do the CIAI and FRM. I don’t think I actually need all of these credentials or that employers will necessarily care, but I have fun doing it. Actually my boss thinks I’m nuts, oh well.

stromey Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > depends on what you want to do with you career. > CMA is really focused on internal accounting: > controls, compliance, auditing, etc. > > Although the CMA covers most of the same material, > most firms that are hiring for these positions are > looking for CPAs (just the way the industry is). > > From the perspective of someone going into IM, PE, > or the like, the CMA designation probably won’t > help much in hiring. I guess it could be useful > for having a better understanding of how firms can > distort their earnings and management quality. > > Nothing specifically against the CMA, but maybe > it’s not worth the extra cost compared to the CFA > charter. Then again, I’m a knowledge nerd, so I’m > a level 3 CFA candidate, part way through the CMA > curriculum, and will also likely do the CIAI and > FRM. I don’t think I actually need all of these > credentials or that employers will necessarily > care, but I have fun doing it. Actually my boss > thinks I’m nuts, oh well. I think your nuts too. Do you have any kind of social life?

Thanks Strom

I’m a CMA. It’s pretty easy, and it’s a big plus if you work at J&J or GE. Not much weight outside that I’m afraid. If you’ve passed a level or two of CFA it should only take you a month or two to pass all four parts. Get the Gleim materials.

Gouman: what’s a social life ? my wife keeps mentioning this phenomenon and my getting one :wink: