Anyone know any decent uranium/nuclear stocks?

?

Cameco (NYSE:CCJ) is probably the most well known and liquid. There are some smaller less liquid stocks that trade on the venture in Canada. Some of the diversified miners like BHP & Rio Tinto also have Uranium exposure but they aren’t pure plays.

I took a look at two Cardero Resources (CDY) and Wealth Minerals (WMLLF). This is in no way an endorsement or recommendation but they seem to be the best of the smaller, less liquid names I looked at. The safer bet is a RIO, RTP, etc. like RA said above.

THPW.OB That being said, I highly doubt this company ever becomes profitable…

Thanks guys, with the increased spending/budgets ( well at least in canada/ontario) for nuclear plants, i’m trying to learn more about the industry.

I like to trade USU, but beware, it may be one of the most volatile stocks on the planet. Given it’s volatility, you can get great deals selling covered calls sometimes, but you have to realize that it will be in your face here and there…

IH8FSA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks guys, > > with the increased spending/budgets ( well at > least in canada/ontario) for nuclear plants, i’m > trying to learn more about the industry. Cameco has alot of problems right now; 1) Cigar Lake Flood - has been continually flooding delaying the production date for that mine 2) Port Hope UF6 Conversion Facility is contaminated and shut down I would stay away from Cameco at the moment. Good U3O8 stocks to look at are Uranium One, Denison Mines, Uranium Participation Corp, Areva (tech and uranium conglomerate). I also hear Zambia is going to start granting uranium exploration (or mining?) licenses; keep your eye out for juniors that have Zambia on their scope. Also, if you are investing in uranium because of Ontario’s proposed spending, take caution as Canadian reactors use a different type of Fuel. Its composed of mainly natural uranium, with slight enrichment. On the other hand, US reactors use UF6 (enriched). Just an FYI…

I heard USU was a scam.

Areva

The writeup in The Economist a few weeks back seemed to say that the supply of Uranium would be increasing significantly in the future, and the price subsequently headed down. Any truth to that? Is the better exposure to increased use of nuclear power through the miners of uranium, or through the firms that actually build the facilities as Bambi suggested? Are the utility companies not such a good bet at this point since any new project is probably 10+ years to completion?

thanks for all your input guys/gals. very interesting.

Areva is $1000+ per share. That seems kind of high. (There are plenty of uranium stocks trading on the Toronto Venture exchange for under $1)

I second Bambi on Areva. I loved it 1 year ago when it was trading at half the price. Now with all the talk about completely privatizing the company I am not sure the price is justified anymore. Anyways, Areva (CEI) is one of the few Uranium stocks out there that is active in most parts of the value chain…

the price of uranium has fallen significantly of late, eg it hit $136 in june and is now (oct 2) down to $75 http://www.mining-journal.com/Breaking_News.aspx?breaking_news_article_id=3948 I’m glad to see you think it’s going to recover ! I’m holding a Canadian mutual fund, Resolute Performance, and at the end of march they had about 1/3 of their fund in uranium stocks (and 1/3 in oil sands, 1/3 in cash). At the end of march, I believe they were holding Energy Metals and Denison (plus a tiny holding in UEX). Since then, Energy Metals has been acquired by I think Uranium One, and Denison has been acquired by I think International Uranium which Resolute had held in the past but long since sold. Resolute has been holding uranium stocks since very shortly after the big blackout back in whenever it was (2003 ?) . They held Cameco and International Uranium and Southern Cross and a large chunk of UEX at various points but those holding were sold a while back

virginCFAhooker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Areva is $1000+ per share. That seems kind of > high. > > (There are plenty of uranium stocks trading on the > Toronto Venture exchange for under $1) True, although I doubt the majority of them will ever get the “lbs out of the ground” - depends on how long you want to have the uranium in your portfolio for

drs Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > THPW.OB > > That being said, I highly doubt this company ever > becomes profitable… Hmm, interesting. A client mentioned this stock a while back.

I’ve just been buying physicals. You can get quite a carry yield by eliminating all the wasteful storage protocols. Given the current real estate crisis, I think that storage opportunities in foreclosed properties are becoming ever more attractive.

>> I’ve just been buying physicals. buying yellowcake ?

I have a stockpile of old smoke detector elements. Someday I will heat the house with them… or toss them all in a microwave for a little thermonuclear popcorn.