Anyone know Math here?

Good finance programmes are quite math intensive in terms of deriving theories

Funny how those who didn’t go to liberal arts schools think liberal arts students can’t major in things like math, physics, or computer science.

Touche.

But I was referring more to the political science, sociology, anthropology, psychology crowd.

2+2 = 5. Words from an investment banker. That’s all the math you need to know.

Ah, you mean the ones that know how to use language. :wink:

me no english sir

I’m from the opposite background: math but no finance, but I understand somewhat how you feel. Even I took nothing but freshman stats in college. There is in fact a lot of math lurking in the background of finance, and mathematical concepts are rather dumbed down in finance the way it’s taught, which I can tell from my background.

How are you with calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra, and what areas interest you? You don’t need a full-blown PhD just to gain a deeper understanding of a subject. I suggest finding a university in your area, and talking to a professor to figure out what your level is, what classes are offered, and what you’d like to do, and just take one class at a time. Don’t just take the class by rote, in one ear and out the other, so to speak, either. Sit down afterwards, reflect on what you’re learning, work out how it applies to the finance you’ve learned previously, and ask questions of the professor. A real college class in something brings you up to speed and is a good jumping-off point for further self-study, too, even if you don’t want to go the whole PhD route.

In any case you’re at a point where you have to take charge of your own learning, find what interests you, and forge ahead with it, even if there isn’t a pre-packaged program for it.

@justin938: Thanks for your advice. I am now learning about copula and how to price CDO using it using R coding.

CFA don’t teach what is copula. FRM talks about copula, but it only says that it is something like correlation and to address non-normative.

for someone who claims not to know math…you sure learn quickly if you can price a cdo using copulae…you mentioned you come from a finance background without math/stats yet you also think of a math phd? how does that work without bsc/msc math??

marissa tomai is awesome after all

No, not Math phd. Is finance phd and the thing stopping me is my lack of Math. Anyway, my prof killed my hope as he said that there are only 4 vacancy in the whole university. I think I quite okay quantative as my language sucks.

I knew a guy who came from a msc finance background (1st tier uni) and felt that his math/econometrics level was not sufficient so he applied to an msc econ/econometrics degree at a 2nd tier uni then applied to a phd finance in a top uni.

Thanks Alladin. Will consider this route smiley

It also depends a little on how old you are…i am 26 turning 27 soon… and if you look at the age of msc students. the maximum is about 28-30…how old are you maisatomai? in any case good luck cool

Same age as you. Singapore compulsory military training took away 2.5 years of my life broken heart