Anyone NOT started Yet? No motivation.?

Yeah there are threads like these but then again i am unique like everyone else.I see some have started already. The outliers are already talking of Mock/sample exams. for a minute i though this was the level I forum.

Others haven’t started but have tentative/definite starting date. I am a retaker. 2011 was wasted as i didnt even finish first read of the syllabus. 2012 -band 8 -was disappointing. Corp fin , derivatives, port -weak topics. got >70 in FRA , FI and ethics. rest in mid range.

registered for 2013 but as the days went by started losing motivation. It is becoming difficult to even pick up the books leave alone reading. At times that i do manage to study ,i get this “Bored to death” feeling and when i close the books. BAM!!! blank. can’t even recall the formula for ATCF… S-C …etc etc. havent gone past chapter 1 in corp fin.

cant seem to find a way out of this quagmire and january or march wont make make panic and start studying. like i have simply stopped caring what happpens.but its surprising- this loss of motivation- for an exam which ruled my life for 2 years and my 2012 attempt was personally challenging on account of pressures@ home, work and the nature of the syllabus and i did feel drained post exam and disappointed @ the result, the loss of motivation is happening in november when i have started studying which surprises me.

i will/have to find a way out of this on my own. just venting. any suggestions/comments though are most welcome. age is not on my side.37.wife. 3 yr old daughter. So much to do in life . so little time.

Hi mate.

I totally feel your pain! I studied relentlessly last year for level 2 and gave up a lot of my free time (not doing the exams through my current employment so it’s all about reading on the commute, evenings and weekends). I moved house last October and on the same day had a baby girl - so add that to the mix and it was a tough experience. I ended up failing in band 9 and I was gutted - just seemed like such a waste of time and effort given I could have harnessed that energy trying to break into the Asset Management / Private Wealth Management arena which is ultimately where I want to be. There’s plenty of talk on the forum that the CFA alone will certainly not allow you to waltz into this type of role but I was hoping that getting Level 2 under my belt would be a good step for interviewers to take me more seriously (given my lack of experience)

…anyway, I have literally just started to open the books again. I was reluctant to buy another set of Schweser books (given the huge amount of overlap to 2012) but reading from these books works for me. The changes I will make this time around is to ensure I absolutely NAIL some of the important concepts that I should have the last time. I’m also going to start early but not too intensely to get a gentle introduction while I build up motivation. Do a few readings which you are good at to get back in to it…it’s all about getting over the hurdle of setting a learning routine - that’s what I find anyway)…

keep sight of the end goal dude…

Hi mate.

I totally feel your pain! I studied relentlessly last year for level 2 and gave up a lot of my free time (not doing the exams through my current employment so it’s all about reading on the commute, evenings and weekends). I moved house last October and on the same day had a baby girl - so add that to the mix and it was a tough experience. I ended up failing in band 9 and I was gutted - just seemed like such a waste of time and effort given I could have harnessed that energy trying to break into the Asset Management / Private Wealth Management arena which is ultimately where I want to be. There’s plenty of talk on the forum that the CFA alone will certainly not allow you to waltz into this type of role but I was hoping that getting Level 2 under my belt would be a good step for interviewers to take me more seriously (given my lack of experience)

…anyway, I have literally just started to open the books again. I was reluctant to buy another set of Schweser books (given the huge amount of overlap to 2012) but reading from these books works for me. The changes I will make this time around is to ensure I absolutely NAIL some of the important concepts that I should have the last time. I’m also going to start early but not too intensely to get a gentle introduction while I build up motivation. Do a few readings which you are good at to get back in to it…it’s all about getting over the hurdle of setting a learning routine - that’s what I find anyway)…

keep sight of the end goal dude…

all the best guys

Honestly I think it’s harder to get started for a second attempt. I’m certainly finding it hard to read material as I read a few lines and think yeah I know that already and lose interest.

I’ve now started to force feed myself formula lists, I feel the concepts are still there I just need to refresh the details, and working the QBank at Schweser to bring this back to the front of my mind. Once I can write out my formula list entirely from memory, it’ll be time to move into the small details that trip you up on the day.

Last year I strated way too late and did not get enough done. Having said that I walked out the exam thinking I had a chance. I was gutted with a Band 8. This year I want to destroy the exam. I’m aiming for over 70 in all categories on the basis that aiming to just pass is a sure way to fail.

End of the day it’s all about the effort and the determination, it’s frustrating how easy most of this is, but how quickly you forget the details needed as you cycle through the syllabus

retaking level 2 is a pain…i imagine much more so than retaking L3 which i failed this yearand don’t plan to retake the next.L2 is the big hump guys…one more push!

I’m 55, so you’re not the oldest taking Level II.

Set a small goal, accomplish it. Repeat as long as needed until you’re back in the swing.

If I was you, I wouldn’t re-read everything if you have memories of it. I’d take some QBank tests, see what areas I need to focus on and read those sections and redo all the EOC.

Me! I have barely made a start and have little motivation to get going. I am stuck in a dead end job which I loathe with very few promising career prospects despite endless applications. I am not sure at this stage if clearing level II will at all assist in improving job prospects. At times it feels as if studying for the next 6 months and dedicating all my spare time to the CFA programme is not worth the effort and sacrifice. Someone MOTIVATE me PLEASE!

I feel your pain. The kid keeps growing up, the wife keeps nagging, and you’re not gonna get a promotion at work. So why go through with it? I wish I could offer advice–but I don’t have any. It only gets worse, even when you start L3 and the end is in sight. I would just really decide whether you want to do it or not. If you don’t, then get out now and save your sanity/marriage/family. If so, then hit it hard, and go for broke. Just like Red said, “Get busy living or get busy dying.” Or in the words of Yoda, “Do–or do not. There is no try.”

For what its worth, when I wrote L1 in Dec there was a surprising amount of 50+ guys writing. Not just one or two, but I probably saw over a dozen, and I’d guess there were only about 500 people writing.

@confused 2010 tis is for you. Do watch i am sure it will fire you up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adLxTDJgXUw

Good luck everyone! Barely passed level I in 2008. Just getting started now on level II. The other thread about advice gave me some motivation because they say I should have started in November! Gotta get on it…It sucks but gotta do it. Gotta try and make it a one and done.

wow 08 huh? Might take you a bit to get back in the groove unless you’ve been studying something else. Good luck tho! Hit it hard

thanks and good luck to you too if you are taking it! Its going to take some getting in the groove definitely, but have been working as an equity analyst and also have just passed series 86 and 87 research analyst tests (merely quizzes compared to the CFA though).

Right there with you. I took L1 in Dec 2006. Was studying for L2 for June and then in April my career went off on a tangent and after a few years made my way back into the industry and just started on L2 again. Should be interesting. I’ve done some tests along the way like the series 7, 66, real estate sales, real estate appraisal, life and health insurance license…all that stuff is like you said an easy quiz compared to this though.

heard the same has held true for the CFA throughout all the years…“the answer is always ‘c’!” :slight_smile: Good luck, let’s beat this thing! Or whatever happens, we get an excuse to drink a lot afterwards!

Gearing up for a marathon 5 months!

I passed lvl 1 in 2009 and failed lvl 2 miserably in 2010…just signed up today. One of the toughest decisions of my life because I’ll be throwing 5 months of it away. But it is nice to see others going through the same thing.

gazhoo exactly on the same boat as you are!!! 2010 failure and now again going back in 2013…