Anyone own a sport bike??

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I drive Ducati If you have that kind of money, lose the zero and get with the hero, the new BMW 1000RR is supposed to be nasty.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I went 4-0 against the police over a 3 month period in college using a ~450 hp Trans Am. Nice, any more details on the car? Used to be big into cars - had a 2.0l with > 500hp on c-16, fun stuff. I too earned my GPA, ha.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yeah, I’ve ridden for like 8 years on a variety of > bikes. I had a 2005 Yamaha R1 that was pretty bad > @ss as well as a variety of other machines of all > styles. Honestly getting the license isn’t hard, > but I’ve seen like a dozen people I know buy a > nice bike / sport bike as their first bike, and > end up laying it over, getting scraped up, and > hating the experience (not to mention looking like > a stupid tool). Every biker looks down on those > brats that go out and buy gear above their driving > level to try to look cool. You obviously have no > experience (I’d almost argue you’re at negative) > and seem pretty naive. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT > go out and buy a nice bike. Get an old Honda CB > from the 1980’s for a summer for like $1,500. > I’ve owned one, they’re super fun bikes (oddly > enough, girls dig the retro). If you can’t bring > yourself to do that, the Suzuki SV650 (probably > cost like $3-4,000 is pretty much widely > considered one of the best beginner bikes out > there. Find the oldest one you can lay your hands > on, with a few scratches already on it and learn > with that. Also, spend TONS of time doing low > speed (like 5-10 mph) figure eights and maneuvers > in parking lots before you start hitting the road. > Most of the overconfident clowns I knew skipped > this because the instability made them nervous and > rather than spending time developing proper safe > skills and technique, they all wanted to rush to > the “fun” part…they were “ready”. Nearly all of > them laid over their bikes within a month. Best > advice is also go to your local harley davidson > dealer and ask if they or anyone local are > offering the bike safety driver course (they > actually lend you used buel’s for the instruction > / driving portion). That’s the best way. The > second best way is to make sure you don’t learn on > your own or with your other inexperienced friends. > I bunch of inexperienced @ss clowns acting > overconfident is not in any way safer than > learning on your own, which is not safe at all > either. Find a 6-8 year experienced older rider > and ride with them for the first month, no > passengers, away from peer pressure. +10000 I was stupid and bought my bike brand new off the showroom floor (0 miles) with a scholarship check that accidentally went to my mailbox instead of my parents. I have put roughly 14k miles on my SV650 in the 3 years i’ve owned it. No wrecks, accidentally tipped it over in the parking lot once, a few close calls. I think the SV is an excellent first bike and leaves you room to grow into it. After being in Cali for about a month and really getting to wring her out on the mountain roads up here there is one (two really) obvious flaws with the bike; 1) The suspension is garbage (even for 165 lb me) and 2) It desperately needs a better exhaust system. Otherwise this bike rips, it’s forgiving and incredibly quick to 80-100 mph. That being said I’ve started looking around for something nicer/faster (if i don’t end up plowing a few grand into the SV). My short list looks like this; Street Triple R Ducati Sport Classic 1000 Ducati Monster S4R I’m a whor3 for an Italian.

If you like the naked crossover, you might check out the Yamaha FZ1 or FZ6. It’s a de-tuned R1/R6 with a more vertical riding posture, etc. I think they’re b*tchin’.

I love twins – the only reason I am even considering the STR is because of the glorious sound of that 3 cylinder motor and the nuts suspension. In any case, I’d probably end up throwing clip-ons on it and get rid of the Motox bars, figure I’ll ride the rough posture while I’m young

In the past I considered getting a bike because alot of my friends ride both Harleys and Sports bikes. However, a few of them have been killed riding and now that I actually value my life I am a bit hesitant to put it at risk. Black Swan, about the GPA, you and me both.

I use to sell motorcycles for Yamaha when I was in college. It was an easy job if you could convince someone’s significant other that bikes are ok. For starters - DO NOT BUY ANYTHING ABOVE 600CC for your first bike. Sport bikes have an incredible amount of power. I did 70 mph in a yamaha R1 while still in first gear. Nuts when you consider that there are more gears to shift through. I am a huge fan of bikes but I do not own one after working in the shop. I agree complete that it is a “losing game” and I do not know anyone who has not had an accident. Your safest bet would be to buy something used / small for your first year and then upgrade. You have to get completely comfortable and learn to respect the bike. Overconfidence is probably the second most common cause of bike accidents (second to other idiots on the road). After your first year of riding, move on up to a CBR600. Smooth riding, plenty of power, sex appeal, and reliable. But that is my opinion. Be safe and drive defensively. It is a blast to ride but dangerous at the same time!

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bought my bike brand new off the > showroom floor (0 miles) with a scholarship check > that accidentally went to my mailbox instead of my > parents. +1. The way it should be. Interesting. I’ve been thinking for a while about buying a +500 hp car to see how it feels, but I’m not exactly into police chases or going over 100mph, so it’s hard to justify the price tag. Probably I’ll stay in my 250ish range.

Inner Evil Voice Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ASSet_MANagement Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > bought my bike brand new off the > > showroom floor (0 miles) with a scholarship > check > > that accidentally went to my mailbox instead of > my > > parents. > > +1. The way it should be. > > Interesting. I’ve been thinking for a while about > buying a +500 hp car to see how it feels, but I’m > not exactly into police chases or going over > 100mph, so it’s hard to justify the price tag. > Probably I’ll stay in my 250ish range. Get a Dodge Viper – tons of power for almost nothing. Or get a used Cadillac CTS-V 4 doors so you can bang out the wife/babysitter and still make a quick escape.

I would’ve never guessed that the CTS-V has over 500.

Inner Evil Voice Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would’ve never guessed that the CTS-V has over > 500. Used M5’s are getting pretty cheap here in SoCal. Pick one up here, we’ll crush it for a weekend.

Please sign up for a Motorcycle safety course, usually free or nominal charge. Buy an entry-level motorcycle that you will feel comfortable handling Ride with full gear and within *your* limits I have been motorcycling for 10+ years and you can always get a bigger, badder bike but if your brains are splattered on a pavement they are not easy to put back together

Turbo Hayabusa

Make sure your first bike has nitrous in case your inexperience gets you in any dangerous situations on the road. That way you can get out quickly.

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Used M5’s are getting pretty cheap here in SoCal. > Pick one up here, we’ll crush it for a weekend. The M5 is actually a good option, reasonable price and not too sporty.

My eyes on the HD superlow 883. Any views on this one ?

cfa_bombay, I’m guessing you have some experience riding? Superlow’s ok, I think an 883’s a pretty small engine to buy from HD, that’s never been their strong area and I think they probably cut some corners as that’s their absolute base / value model. Similarly though, I LOVE the Harley Davidson Forty-Eight, it’ll probably be my next bike (I have some of the concerns over this bike as the 883 SL).

I have about 10K miles on sub 250cc. And this was mainly city commute. Actually Iron 883 > superlow 883. forty-eight seems good as well. But not on sale here. First round of 883s are being sold, so will probably wait to get some feedback.

Get a Honda Goldwing. I don’t know anything about bikes, but that one looks cool.

Palantir Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Get a Honda Goldwing. > > > I don’t know anything about bikes, but that one > looks cool. Lazy Boy recliner on wheels. I rode my buddies dad Goldwing (2009) and thats a bike you can really do some mileage on. It’s also dangerous b/c it’s easy to fall asleep on those bikes.