Anyone planning on doing CIPM?

Any thoughts?

never heard of it

why dont we all just take CIPM, FRM, CAIA, CPA, CIA, CMA, CIMA and then perhaps we can land a high-paying finance job on wall

I just passed CIPM principal exam held Oct’10. CIPM is actually a mini subset of L3. It’s all about Performance Measurement (SS17) and GIPS (SS18) and some ethiscs. I am L3 repeater so materials were very familiar and pretty easy for me. For CFA, we go to test center by preparing 18 different study session where as it was only 2.25 SS. It’s a warm-up exam before the real exam besides now i am master in these two SS:-). planning to take CIPM expert level in Oct’11 and hopefully by end of the '11 i will have both CFA and CIPM after my name and i can ask my employer “show me the $$$$$$…”

sure, but maybe after passing L3 first. i said on this forum before that i believe the CIPM is a logical extension for the L3 CFA material. ppl kept joking at me for some reason!!

Asset management companies have independent teams that handle performance and attribution for their funds. CIPM are for those folks especialized in this area. I would recommend complementing the CFA charter with the FRM, which will be applicable to any job in asset management, if this is the route you are leaning towards.

CFAFRM Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Asset management companies have independent teams > that handle performance and attribution for their > funds. CIPM are for those folks especialized in > this area. I would recommend complementing the CFA > charter with the FRM, which will be applicable to > any job in asset management, if this is the route > you are leaning towards. I’m working on a similar path (CFA then FRM).

hi all, I was wondering how long on average people took to study for the CIPM Principles exam? I think the CFAI is saying 100 hours… but that seems a lot longer than it’s taking. Also, if you’ve taken the exam please elaborate on the difficulty? (b/c it seems rather basic). thanks, MItch

I think that CIPM is more for a BO job. No interest.

If you are planning to take CIPM after your L3 exam then it will take less than 100 hours as you already covered most of the materials specially GIPS and performance section… checkout CIPM study session to find out your position…

If you are taking the 1st level of the CIPM right after L3, I would say you need 0 hrs of study time. Back when I took L3 in 2009, someone I work with was taking the 1st CIPM exam. We spoke about the curriculum quite a bit and it was very clear that I knew the material much better than they did and the entire L1 CIPM was covered in the 2 SS presented in L3. What is the incentive to take the CIPM?? I think it would be useful if you plan to spend a significant portion of your career in performance measurement (i.e. more than 5 years), but I don’t really see any other application. I am currently a Performance Analyst (taking new job in 1 month), but I decided not to take the CIPM because I didn’t what to risk getting labeled as “a performance guy”. I certainly have the knowledge about performance that the CIPM would have given me (w/o the letters) but feel like the CIPM might have actually cheapened the value of the CFA after my name.

CIPM can be of a great value if your firm is in the business of placing clients’ money to outside money managers as opposed to having a research team of their own. It can also be differentiating selling tool if you ever want to open up a small investment advisory firm of your own. Other than that, don’t bother pursuing it. You can use the same time doing something more productive like drinking, watching TV etc.

I passed the principals exam in October 2010. The principals exam is pretty basic, and is really just a subset of the CFA exams. I’d realistically say that you’d need ~50 hrs to pass it if you’re familiar with the L3 curriculum (although I probably over-studied for it). The expert exam does look pretty hard, though…