Anyone started studying

Nike Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think that studying ethics last is the best > policy, because if you study now, you’ll forget > everything. Yeah…Anyways its the same stuff we are reading for last 2 years. Lets master the new mammoths…stered with first 2 chapterson behaviorals and 1 on Fixed income. and for last 2 days I have n’t touched the books…Need mroe motivation to coninue it…!!

I know the conventional wisdom is to read ethics last, but I plan on reading it several times. This time is a quick read through with some margin notes jotted down. I’ll do a thorough reading (or two) later. As I said, I hate it enough that I thought I’d get the initial pass out of the way first, and circle back once or twice later. It looks like volume 2 will be a lot more fun - the topics are more interesting, and closer to my strengths.

busprof Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Almost half through Book 1 (dang, ethics is > snore-inducing). I hope to be done with my first > pass by January. I have a kid coming due in Early > April of 09, and I know I’ll be time constrained > the last two months, so I’m actually trying to get > ahead of the game for once in my life. ======================================================= I have a kid coming due in Early > April of 09, and I know I’ll be time constrained > the last two months, so if you fail ( I hope you do not) you have an excuse already don’t u?

I’m not going to open the ethics book until November or December. I’ll casually read some of the stuff that interests me until then. The thought of reading that old ethics crap for the 15th time is enough to kill my ambition until January. Besides, we should know ethics inside-out by now. edit: book 2 is alright, too much psychology mumbo-jumbo though.

Is ethics the same? I think they included some GIPS this time around? I think the CFA makes ethics boring by testing it on every level, although it’s free points for me, because I score above 70%.

I was scared to death when I wrote the L2 exam and saw the ethics questions. I scored 50-70 for Ethics which is terrible because you don’t want to fail on ethics. The material is identical and not much… so what I’ll do is spend two whole days in May, say week 2 and week 4, on Ethics alone. Do the questions in the book and lots of Schwesers. I-will-not-fail-Ethics this time. I’m afraid I’ll need these Ethics points come June 6, 2009…

CFA_IND: I’m a bit confused why you’d think that I’m setting up an excuse. On the contrary, it’s motivation to work ahead and to put this thing behind me. I know my limitations, and I tend to put things off until the last possible minute. This time I realize it’s not likely to be a fruitful strategy. Besides - I don’t want to spend the first two months of my newborn’s life worrying about an exam - I’ll never get that time back. Instead I plan to be well ahead of the game so the final stretch is mostly review. Finally, I doubt starting 9 months before the exam (and 4 months earlier than for L2) fits the typical profile of “giving myself an excuse”. But I could be wrong - it happens pretty regularly (or so She Who Must Be Obeyed tells me on a regular basis).

busprof, congrats on the baby news. Good idea planning ahead before the baby shows up. I didn’t use curriculum reading for level 1 or 2 because I didn’t have the time. This time around, I’ll give it a once over before January, and then go through Schweser, notecard in some detail, and keep the last month for practice exams and problems.

if busprof was such a good planner, the baby would be coming out a bit later:) ideally some time after the exam:) Nevertheless, congrats!

I want to start too but I don’t like CFA’s curriculum. For all L1 and L2, I used Schweser. I did have L2 2008 of Schweser to start but I don’t know what the difference between L3 2008 and L3 2009. If it’s big, I will wait for Schweser L3 2009.

McLeod81 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m not going to open the ethics book until > November or December. I’ll casually read some of > the stuff that interests me until then. The > thought of reading that old ethics crap for the > 15th time is enough to kill my ambition until > January. Besides, we should know ethics > inside-out by now. > > edit: book 2 is alright, too much psychology > mumbo-jumbo though. I also skipped Ethics. I’ve been reading book 2 and 5. Those are interesting. I enjoy reading about psychology though.

Lumiere_1979 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > if busprof was such a good planner, the baby would > be coming out a bit later:) ideally some time > after the exam:) Nevertheless, congrats! Planning had little to do with this. Ah well - one of these days we’ll have to figure out how this stuff happens. Any suggestions for names?

Just finished book 1. So painful. I truly hope the rest of the curriculum is more interesting.

Nike Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is ethics the same? I think they included some > GIPS this time around? I think the CFA makes > ethics boring by testing it on every level, > although it’s free points for me, because I score > above 70%. Hey Nike, GIPS is included, but as far as I remember - it’s not in the first book with the ethics stuff. I think it’s in the last book actually. I admire everyone for studying ethics, I’m kind of cheating and pretending to be studying by reading the behavioral stuff since that was my research topic in school. Hey, it’s a start, right? Anyways, I hear you typically do the worst in the stuff you know in the real world so…

just my opinion, but ethics is something i wouldn’t study early at all… to me, the more times i studied it the more muddled it actually became… and tons of other sections are good candidates for early study. in level 2, i could have studied FSA and a few other sections 40 times and probably still got some value from the last study session… just my opinion, but others i respect have mentioned same thing to me.

nice post for the main course but more for the by line …yeah it shall pass!