Anyone suffer from panic attacks / anxiety ?

My sense is that most of us in this industry are all Type A people. I’ve been struggling with panic attacks lately and my whole world has been turned upside down. I’m second guessing my job, girlfriend, life, etc etc. I had my first meeting with a psychologist last night. Everything just seems so overwhelming to me right now. Anyone else ever deal with this?

book a week off work asap and go lie on a beach somewhere. DO not check your email or bring your blackberry /cellphone with you and dont watch tv when your there, because the news is just depressing

Ever stop to think what Type A personality actually means? It is a term that gets thrown around a lot and I don’t think that people recognize its origin. If you are type A, you probably have high anxiety. Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_A_and_Type_B_personality_theory

“Type A individuals can be described as impatient, time-conscious, concerned about their status, highly competitive, ambitious, business-like, aggressive, having difficulty relaxing” Sounds like everyone in the research dept where I work…

Haha. Search for “anxiety” or “depression” on AF and you’ll get tons of posts.

most people experience anxiety/panic attacks at some point. Once they kick in they are definitely hard to stop because of the biochemicals that are released (adrenaline, cathecoline, etc). Exercise helps to burn off those chemicals, I have found.

You are right to see someone, including an MD. I had that for a period many years ago. Don’t try to get through it on your own.

Hit the gym then smoke a j. This happens to me a lot. The same things that make you good at this type of work lead to these annoying spells of anxiety. You just have to find a way to silence your mind when you have down time. Working out hard makes you too tired for your mind to race, and some self medication can quite your mind even more. Allowing you to relax and recharge. You ambition can serve you well though, so I wouldn’t want to get rid of it completely.

Yoga and meditation techniques work well for people with anxiety. The other option is to see the shrink and pop pills (aderral, etc.).

I would not suggest using any illegal drugs, even alcohol, as this could make things worse. One strategy might be to stop giving a f&*k about things so much. If you resign yourself to the fact that you’re not perfect, never will be, and that we are not “owed” anything in this world this could help settle your mind a bit. It seemed to work for me.

jbisback Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My sense is that most of us in this industry are > all Type A people. > > I’ve been struggling with panic attacks lately and > my whole world has been turned upside down. I’m > second guessing my job, girlfriend, life, etc etc. > I had my first meeting with a psychologist last > night. Everything just seems so overwhelming to me > right now. > > Anyone else ever deal with this? jb, My wife has dealt with this for a long time. If you are really interested in talking about it shoot me an email at mwvt99 at g mail dot com

Sometimes I get anxiety… but it goes away after MMA training. Try some form of decent exercise (not just running on the elliptical).

If your in the great state of California it’s not illegal, a doctor could and probably would write a script for it if the patient had an anxiety disorder. Trust me, it works.

I’m actually the complete opposite. In the preparation phase leading up to a big event I sometimes get nervous or tentative, but I usually thrive in the spotlight, be it standardized tests, important meetings, speeches, etc. What gives me the most anxiety is when I lay away awake at night wondering what happens after death.

Yes. I am type A and have the same feeling - stressful these days! Seasonal effect.

I was getting anxiety when I was working at my old job (read: Sitting around doing nothing, waiting until 4 so I could go home and work out). At my current job, 55-60 hour work week, high pressure, very busy, combined with a big move and trying to organize professional and social plans while studying. I find myself clear headed and relaxed.

@ jbisback What research department do you work in? BB? NYC?

Exercise helps a lot, but I found that yoga helps way more than just running on a treadmill or other types of cardio. I tried it recently for the first time in years, and it really helped me to combat the seasonal affective disorder that I felt was starting to take hold of me. Yoga/meditation helps you focus on the here and now and, if you do it properly, stops you from focusing on all the bigger picture crap that can drive you nuts. Besides seeing a doctor, avoid alcohol and other drugs, eat healthily and get enough sleep (if you CAN sleep - at least try to get to bed at a reasonable time). These lifestyle habits can help a lot more than you might think.

@ monkey 30 bln aum buyside shop Not in NYC

jbisback Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My sense is that most of us in this industry are > all Type A people. > > I’ve been struggling with panic attacks lately and > my whole world has been turned upside down. I’m > second guessing my job, girlfriend, life, etc etc. > I had my first meeting with a psychologist last > night. Everything just seems so overwhelming to me > right now. > > Anyone else ever deal with this? Dude, that must be a living hell. Keep in mind that you need to see a psychiatrist. Psychologists know nothing.