Applying for Job Online...

When you all apply for a job that’s posted on a company’s website, do you typically mail a hard copy of your cover letter and resume and/or follow up with a telephone call, or do you just apply on their website and hope to hear back? Any other tips/ideas would be appreciated!

Started with a cynical, snide comment but deleted it. karma, i guess. Email your resume and you’ll be one of at least 50 other candidates waiting and hoping. Email. Find out who the direct report will be to and send an introduction email with some work samples. Find associations or groups to which any of the decision makers are members and ‘coincidentally’ be a member and show up at the next networking event. Linked In works for intel or just a web search. Basically, anything to be a face instead of just a name.

I have never seen my colleagues on any networking events, except for corporate new year cocktail and dinner. Even not at IIF or CFA conferences. At least here in Spain, people who go to networking are entrepreneurs who need clients, salespeople from real estate firms, and people looking for a job. Some people nurture any contact with people from other banks, and manage to get to “go out with Barclays people”, “go for drinks with Morgan Stanley buds”, but one has to be really good to get to this internal rather spontaneous events. Good entertainer, at least. And hope that it’s in people’s nature to help (and not to be an AF a…hole), and they will recommend you to their bosses when you need it. Also, for them it’s good if their company hires you, they get “points” for introducing good people to the company.

joehogue Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Email. Find out who the direct report will be to > and send an introduction email with some work > samples. Find associations or groups to which any > of the decision makers are members and > ‘coincidentally’ be a member and show up at the > next networking event. Linked In works for intel > or just a web search. Basically, anything to be a > face instead of just a name. I agree. For a firm you really want to work at (not every firm - just your top 10 firms where you’d really, really like to work), it helps to be a bit of a stalker towards the department you want to work in. If you’ve already met your potential boss/colleagues in social or professional events, esp. if they know who you are, it can be an enormous advantage in standing out. Failing that, I’d say e-mail your resume, but personalize it as much as possible. Find out who the HR person or hiring manager is likely to be and e-mail them a cover letter, work samples, etc, etc. E-mailing and calling is pretty much annoying if you’re cold calling, I think. If the hiring firm wants phone calls, they’ll list their number on the hiring post.