Applying Knowledge

Through the last 6-8mnths of study before June 08 exam, I am sure many of us have read the FSA material in depth and we are in a stage that we have the knowledge to the subject. I feel that I have the knowledge required but still lack in the application level. By Application level I mean - Picking up companies from different standards or picking up companies and start comaparing them by adjusting their statements. I remember someone in Dec or earlier doing this but somehow cannot find the site where they all gathered for practice. Can we all June candidates (Both L1 & L2) get together and initiate the process of applying our knowledge and sharing with each other for the benifit of all. The basic steps that I can remember can be to - 1.) Bring together a few companies using different standards and get their statements / results. 2.) Start adjusting the statements to make them comparable (which i believe is the core of FSA we studied. But to my knowledge I am still not perfect yet to decide which one to be adjusted). 3.) And analyse them using different ratios. For the next 15 days before the results can we spend sometime with each other appying our knowledge to make us more comfortable? Everyone please join in and bring out ideas by way we should be doing this. Thanks All. And hope we all pass.

Is it only me who thinks like this? Just wondering is anyone interested in trying to apply what he/she learnt?

amit, looks exam stress has taken a lot out of students n nobdy is in a mood of such discussions. Well i really lik such discussions…its just that i have just started studying(Dec L1) these concepts n m at a vry early stage.Still wud lik 2 participate if other ppl show interest…

Amit, i like the idea that you have put forth. i will not be able to do the exercise right now but would definitely love to do it sometime later(say 2 or 3 months). i am sure there are lot of us here who would be interested in doing this. lets wait and see if more ppl are interested. you can mail me on aquabu@gmail.com and we can discuss more.

Amit, What area do you work in? you can mail me at onesachin@yahoo.com

hks_3854 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > amit, looks exam stress has taken a lot out of > students n nobdy is in a mood of such discussions. > Well i really lik such discussions…its just that > i have just started studying(Dec L1) these > concepts n m at a vry early stage.Still wud lik 2 > participate if other ppl show interest… While I agree that the exam took a lot out of everyone, I’m going to take the contrarian view to HKS. Application is the entire reason why we put ourselves through the hell of the CFA exams. Without it, our efforts are pointless. So rather than losing what we’ve learned by taking too much time off (Admittedly, I wanted to forget everything I learned 5 minutes after the PM session!), candidates should use the first opportunity to utilize the skills they’ve obtained during the study process to further solidfy their knowledge. Amit, feel free to email me as well at stephen.walker83@gmail.com

hey sachin - my present work profile is into IT in a global asset management firm. But i am looking to move to a financial mkt related profile after i complete l2. Now i seriously feel that i gained a lot of knowledge with studying hard for L1. But what i felt is i always tend to forget the subjects. This was my observation throughout my prep. I just thought, it would make our knowledge level more stable by applying it somewhere. So i am just trying to keep all the concepts handy in my mind. But no way to do that except for studying. Which i do not want to do till the results are out. I too wish to give my mind some rest for a month. As SR Blades said - I also just wish to utilize the 1st opp. to apply our knowledge and solidify the knowledge. Suggestions are needed from all on how to start the application process. Should we start a blog or a website for analysis seperately or can we do it on AF itself?

count me in my email is mwala@pcmalawi.org

We have got 6 people till now - 1.) Amit 2.) hks 3.) Aquabu 4.) Sachin123 5.) SRBlades 6.) AudreyMwala Expecting a few more to join… Just as an initiative for analysis - i have created a blog for all of us and named it: http://financialcareers.blogspot.com Lets start applying our learning.

I’d also like a discussion about the selection process for subject firms; could we also apply some of the economics principles in a top-down approach- so that we know we’re not simply selecting companies from industries at random? I’m interested in hearing others’ opinions and rationales concerning this step of the screening process. Either way I’m in. cjones65@gmail.com P.S. Will the blog allow file uploads for SEC filings, spreadsheets, 3rd party research, etc.?

cjones65 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > P.S. Will the blog allow file uploads for SEC > filings, spreadsheets, 3rd party research, etc.? hey amit… its a good initiative.Count me in, my mail ID aksgupta@gmail.com you can include industry analysis in the blog. also include a link to google docs for uploading files

id be interested too if possible… skipvasquez@gmail.com no spam please! ha ha

I have interest as well grimer9000@gmail.com I’ll be away mostly till the 1st week of August.

Good that we have more people interested in such discussions and wanting to apply their knowledge. c jones & aks - really good ideas. Will try to get this done for uploading files. c jones - Lile your your thought to apply some of the economics principles in a top-down approach- so that we know we’re not simply selecting companies from industries at random. This was something we learnt in Equities and should certainly start with it. Lets get going with the blog for the time being. If for some reason the blog does not provide us with all capabilities that we need, we can go further and create a website to help us. Any more suggestions - please update me.

Very goog idea I say. I’m not sure how we’re gonna get started/get organized but I’m definitely in. My email is kguizo@hotmail.com

Have created an extra Label for Economy/Industry Analysis. I would like to request 1-2 of you having good knowledge on working with blogs to please come forward and help in managing it with me. CJones, AKS - I tried to get the links setup for uploading the files. For now have created a new ID with Author Permissions. Also uploaded a sample income statement in its Google Docs. Try this - http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p2MJMDBWaYTFTFOFVY0MkWg&hl=en Seems if one of us save the files in our google docs and share it for everone, we can post the link on the blog so that everyone can access it. Alternatively, as above I can provide an ID/Pass for author access to a few to be able to upload docs to this specific Author and Share. Please suggest, what would be the right way. All - please visit: http://financialcareers.blogspot.com and start our discussions for analysis. Some of us have already started posting. We all need to keep up this Learning effort.

one more addition…count me in…me too from Comp Sci background… bullpow@hotmail.com

I think we have 10+ people now. The blog is open for all right now. You might need a Google Id to post there. Good work - CJones, Grimer, Abu, Stephen, Sachin. Will be great if all of us start discussions even if we think different. This way we can have the judgement of how all analysts think.

i’d also like to participate speedybroadarrow@yahoo.com

please don’t put your email ids here. The blog is open to all. Knowledge sharing & personal thoughts are appreciated. Would be enough - if we post our profiles in the blog under Current profiles section. Would like to highlight that we all will remain on AF and continue our discussions here. The blog is for practising the application of what we learnt till now. So please participate.