Are selfies good?

Sometimes I feel lost in this world of people taking selfies left and right. It is great to capture the moment. But, at what point do you fail to live in the moment and experience life and turn to an object to recreate a visual image of what took place? Our culture is already superficial. Will the next generation be bound by groups of moments with nothing but them cheezing out in different outfits? I thought life and photography was about capturing the essence of things, the great points in life, and memories with loved ones. I am beginning to learn that to some it is about capturing every moment, every friend, every movement possible in facial expressions, and things I had never even thought were worthy of a photo. I would hate to think that this mesh of constant information in the form of photos would blur the line as to what is important in life. Arts are very representative of the times and at this time the current art is this barrage of selfies. Can our lives be constantly conduced to this level of superficiality on a repetitve basis? I think it dulls the lifeblood of a being, but thats just me.

The abordiginals were right.

tell us how you really feel

hey ACE, have you actually observed people who obsessivly take pointess photos/ superficial selfies as a habit and non stop? Are you sure you are not just having a biased observation based on the fact that it is the slice of life we happen to see given the ratio of time actually spent with people vs.exposure to social media? I’m not convinced people are becoming more superficial. I think it is just becasue we are more exposed to the superficial side of people’s experience that makes it look that way. The more meaningful side of life is harder to express and often is fleeting. Most people are not trained artists and cannot effectively capture the “lifeblood of being”. However, that time they went out with their friends and looked real cute in that outfit, well it doesn’t take much skill to capture that. Vanity is like junk food… an empty pleasure… but a pleasure none the less! This is the side of people we end up seeing. It does not mean the other side does not exist.

I think the personification of this can be explained eloquently in Drowning Pool’s “Tear Away.” Hope there’s a reason For questions unanswered I just don’t see everything Yes I’m inside you Tell me how does it feel to feel like this Just like I do I don’t care about anyone else but me I don’t care about anyone I don’t care about anyone else but me I don’t care about anyone Do I really want this Sometimes I scare myself I just can’t let it go Can you believe it__Everything happens for reasons I just don’t know [video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCSs5QggRUk]

** selfie ** I don’t care about anyone else but me ** selfie ** get it?

In the media I think it is pretty disgusting. But, I have seen a handful of friends (mostly girls) spin off into this la la land of selfie diahrrrea that is all encompassing. Its repulsive.

my selfie stick broke in Italy

RIP

dont’ care as long as they’re hot

I like to take pictures of people taking selfies. It’s spying on an amusing moment of self love.

Truth. As long as they are a total smokeshow, they can make all the duck face selfies they want. In my opinion, of course.