Are there any engineers here?

I know maybe it’s not the best time to ask this question, but I was wondering if there are any engineers here and whether you’re working in the engineering or have transitioned to finance. If you haven’t transitioned, what are your plans in doing so and meeting the 48 months related work requirements of the CFAi?

I’m an engineer who has yet to actually work in finance. I plan to work for a firm that specializes in value investing, which I believe will have a new heyday due to lower valuations as a result of the bear market. Once I start working in finance, I’ll be able to start fulfilling the 48 month work experience requirement.

Good to know… Do you plan on switching after you pass Level 1? Level 2? Do you think that having passed Level 1 is enough credentials to land a decent job in Finance even though not coming from a Finance background?

I am Engineer too. Working in consultancy for construction business. 3rd Attempt for level 1, 25 this year and hopefully can change job after passing level 1 so that i can earn that 48 months of experience. From SGP. Cheerz =)

Engineer reporting in. Made a career switch upon graduation. Workin in finance now. Hope to nail this monster to leverage on my position =)

DiehardValueInvestor Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m an engineer who has yet to actually work in > finance. I plan to work for a firm that > specializes in value investing, which I believe > will have a new heyday due to lower valuations as > a result of the bear market. Once I start working > in finance, I’ll be able to start fulfilling the > 48 month work experience requirement. Overall valuations seems to be pretty fair IMO. What are you basing the your valuation belief in, out of curiosity?

EMHdenied Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Overall valuations seems to be pretty fair IMO. > What are you basing the your valuation belief in, > out of curiosity? Price/book ratio of the S&P Industrials, which is somewhat above the historical average but not grotesquely so (like in most of the 1990s and 2000s). If we’re headed back to 1974/1982 levels of undervaluation (1.0 to 1.1 times book value), then there’s another 50% decline ahead. Major bear markets tend to be swift but very sharp. Just look at 1973-1974 and 1929-1932. I think that a new Golden Age for value investors will dawn sometime in the next few years.

Why would anybody want to switch from engineering to finance. To me it always looked like engineers have a pretty sweet deal. Such a shortage of engineers around the world. One of my friends who worked in finance actually quite his job and went back to Uni to study engineering.