Are you a tool if you...

Write that you passed each exam on first attempt on your resume? I could see this helping your cause a little but I also can’t help but to think there are a lot of people that view this as a douche thing to say and toss your resume out immediately. Any thoughts on this?

Congrats to everyone to finally finished this process!

Do you think this makes you smarter than anyone else? Does this make you a superior investor and worthy of more trust and responsibility because of it? No, it doesn’t.

Yes. Big time douche.

Also do not think for a second that the CFA is valued by employers the way you think. It is just a signalling tool.

So unless you want to signal that you are an arrogant prick, better spare the details

I don’t think it’s a douche thing.

But, passing on the first attempt doesn’t mean you are smarter than those who didn’t pass on the first attempt.

I will take someone who passed (after multiple attempts) while married with kids over someone who was single or dating, but passed on the first attempt.

passing on first attempt shows that you are smart and good at taking tests. taking multiple attempts shows grit. either way, i wouldn’t trust you with my investments, lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes. Yes, it does.

I wouldn’t throw out your resume just cause you wrote that, but yes, it is somewhat douchey. I think it does somewhat imply that you may think you are better than others.

It all depends on who is reading it. I wouldn’t do it. I think the negative risks outweigh the potential benefit.

Yes, yes it does.

What about “Completed CFA program in under 3 years”?

Same thing, don’t do it unless asked about!

No, I disagree.

If you managed to maintain a social life and passed in 18 months then you deserve a hat tip. Especially if you work 12-14hr days. Its a grind and you worked you a$s off.

i place the CFA near the bottom of my CV tho, FWIW

Bad. Don’t.

You can bring it up casually in the interview, but never put it on paper.

Those who did not pass in first attempt will likely to advise you against. Put everything you are proud of yourself, and prove what you wanted to indicate is a goddamn truth !!

LOL this seems way worse to me. How do you “casually” bring up that you passed all tests on the first try and scored above the 90% percentile on level 3?

Also the 18 month thing is kind of dumb, imo it would be easier to pass level 2 if you just finished level one – i def forgot half the stuff in the month break in between studying

I think regardless fact that you have gone through the program and finished shows a lot of courage and endurance, whether 18 months or 18 years…neither is better or worst…coming from a guy who still has to finish I guess (off course I envy you if you finished in 18 months and if I am interviewing you and you say that will hate you and not hire you J/K)…I think everybody’s circumstances is different… one thing is for sure this is a program which takes a lot to finish…

Honestly as an interviewer this wouldn’t bother me at all. If it’s the truth why not share the information? Besides most financial interviews are technical in nature, so you have your chance to show your knowledge regardless of how quickly you passed the exam so if you would prefer to avoid it then it wouldn’t hurt you.

But honestly, if it’s true I’d have no problem with it. I suspect most charterholders would feel differently than me though since most have failed an exam at least once.

If you have to ask then you probably already know. Lot depends on where you are in your career, if you don’t have a lot of work experience then this is a nice thing to highlight. If you have a body of work to stand on, then it is at best irrelevant and at worst bragging. If you are in the middle, then skip it, because you will only impress HR while taking the risk of tapping into someone’s resentments.

I wouldn’t write it on paper, but be ready to “use it” if you think the interviewer would appreciate it.

Different firms look for different types of employees, and it boils down to culture. If the culture feels flat, then don’t be a douche and keep it to yourself (Tony Hsieh, Zappos) . If it’s a cut-throat and competitive environment, then don’t be shy and show your aces (Jack Welch, GE).