Are you smarter than your boss?

I’m in second corporate finance gig since I graduated. So far, I’m not impressed with the intellects. It’s not like I’m some kind of genius, but that’s the point. I for one believe that I’m more versed in wider body of knowledge than my bosses. I’m particularly not impressed with their reasoning ability. We sometimes engage in political, economic and financial banter. I routinely make more cogent, relevant, logical and less emotionally motivated points. I also routinely use basic deduction to back people into corners where they have to accept my premise. Of course they get butt hurt, and eventually flip flop on their position. These are vets too e.g. controller, asst. controller and CFO. They are accounting experts i.e. know GAAP, FASB, and CPA exam material, with the exception of the items listed, they just don’t strike me as being particularly smart or well rounded. Also, why can’t some old farts just accept that their younger counterparts might know more than them about traditional disciplines i.e. money management, philosophy, politics etc. and not just hardware, software, the internet. This has been a source of frustration, because I don’t feel I’m learning as much as I could be. Also, it would be nice to work for people you admire.

I wouldn’t hire you.

Cool…

Do you mind sharing your age, Gouman?

I have no problem admitting my boss is much smarter and experienced than I am. I know someday I will surpass, but for now I am happy to have someone like that to learn from. Bummer for you, yay for me.

> I routinely make more cogent, relevant, logical and less emotionally motivated points I know your type.

hahahhaha i have had only 2 bosses who were smarter than me. my current boss doesnt even know what i do for a living. no exaggeration. we just meet once a week for 5 minutes and he asks me what i am doing and i could make up stuff if i wanted to.

Not a chance…my boss testifies in front of senate banking committee…actually had a law named after him. I will never be as smart as him…but Im okay with that.

So you’re smarter than your boss - how does that change things - Maybe you do know more about those things, but can you make better decisions than your boss , CFO, etc.? Seemingly so, but probably not. Finally, if your boss or bosses boss is not someone you could see yourself being in 5 years, maybe you should change positions.

If it were me, I’d post that tirade on the outside of my cube. Let em know who the BSD around here is.

Gouman Wrote: -------------------------------------------------------> > Also, why can’t some old farts just accept that > their younger counterparts might know more than > them about traditional disciplines i.e. money > management, philosophy, politics etc. and not just > hardware, software, the internet. > Because it’s just never true. Edit: And it’s not even true about software. Maybe hardware. Probably the Internet.

>>I for one believe that I’m more versed in wider body of knowledge than my bosses. Quite possibly true, particularly if you just finished an MBA or whatnot. But, being really proficient and focused at a small number of things, and having a monopoly of knowledge on those things gets you a lot farther than being an inch deep and a mile wide in most jobs. In my last job, I worked for an ex-military guy with only a HS degree who probably didn’t have a clue about stochastic processes or Gini coefficients or CFA vs. MBA but was far more valuable to the company than me and whatever Harvard/ex-McKinsey people worked there.

juventurd Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In my last job, I worked for an ex-military guy > with only a HS degree who probably didn’t have a > clue about stochastic processes or Gini > coefficients but was far more valuable to the > company than me and whatever Harvard/ex-McKinsey > people worked there. But what good is knowledge of Gini coefficients and stochastioc processes if you work at 7-11?

I think I was smarter and more competent than my former boss. In fact, I think he was actually insecure about that and tried to limit my upward mobility, challenge my ideas where he really had no basis, and constantly find problems with my work that were either irrelevant or trivial in his feeble attempts to “put me in my place.” Of course, he did manage to make my experience fairly miserable for a span of few months, but that’s also why I resigned the day I got my bonus and moved along to greener pastures. It’s too bad that employees generally don’t have much recourse against their managers, which is why it’s so important to be cognizant of a crummy situation and be willing to move on as soon as possible if circumstances dictate.

You work for Blackwater Juventurd?

Re: Are you smarter than your boss? new Posted by: JoeyDVivre (IP Logged) [hide posts from this user] Date: September 23, 2008 03:17PM juventurd Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In my last job, I worked for an ex-military guy > with only a HS degree who probably didn’t have a > clue about stochastic processes or Gini > coefficients but was far more valuable to the > company than me and whatever Harvard/ex-McKinsey > people worked there. But what good is knowledge of Gini coefficients and stochastioc processes if you work at 7-11? They are essential. A good 7-11 clerk utilizes stochastic processes to analyze the drunk walk of people going through the door and where they randomly might walk next.

IMHO… you might be smarter (if making better comments in office banter=smarter), but even very smart and intelligent people dont necessarily climb the ranks. in fact, one can say that your not smarter than your boss since he is smart enough to earn more money than you can while working with less “wit”. Also, how do you know they are flip flopping because you backed them into a corner with your unparalleled logic? maybe they just dont want to talk to you anymore its not what you know. its who you know first. i wish it wasnt, but this is just the way it is.

I just tried to go to Blackwaters’ website on my work PC and the big yellow screen came up due to “Weapons and Violence.” That’s one for the personnel file–thanks USFbulls. The job was in sales management for a P&C insurer.

Juventurd… Blackwater employees are mercenaries. BTW… how’d it end up going with lawyer-chick?

Am I smarter than my bosses – yes (some of them). Are my employees smarter than me – yes (some of them)