Art Bars

I went to Paint Nite tonight with 3 other people. The whole experience just reminded me how I suck at art and how women should never propose an activity. No doubt that the guy giving the class is cleaning up though, not only with the “students” but also with the waitresses that can’t stop flirting with him.

^ hmm this is getting more tempting, maybe I should set one up in London…

edit: just googled paint night london, seems like they’re over here already. I haven’t heard about it before though so it can’t be all that popular.

You aren’t the target audience

I gave mine to a homeless man. No joke. I bumped into one 30 feet away. Judging by the way he smiled when I handed it to him, he must have thought I was the descendant of Van Gogh.

There’s good dough in this business.

There were 30 people there last night. The “instructor” asked how many people purchased their tickets from a discounted site. 10 people raised their hands. $25 * 10 = $250. Discount provider keeps half according to him, so that’s $125 left. Paint Nite probably takes another 50%, so that’s $62.50 left.

The other 20 most likely purchased their entrance at the regular price of $50. $50*20 = $1000. Paint Nite keeps 50%, instructor puts $500 in his pocket.

The instructor then had the balls to ask for tips at the end of the show. I saw a few people give $20 bills, and others not too far away from me give $5. These artsy types are good tippers to their kind, as I’m sure they gave the waitress that served their beers much less. Out of 30 people, $150 in tips is a conservative number.

$62.50+$500+$150= $712.50

The brushes and aprons were used. The paint he provided was a few drops at most. Let’s assume the total cost (including the depreciated cost of brushes and aprons) to $112.50 coming out of instructor’s pockets.

Final number is $600 for 2 hours of work. And he does this twice a week. I’m not even including the private lessons he gives which he kept mentioning every 5 minutes. Did I mention this dude was not even great at what he does? Charismatic and funny, yes. Great painter, no.

Not a bad pay day for a hippie.