Asking for raise after earning charter??? What %?

For those that plan on staying with their current employer, I’m curious if anyone is planning on requesting a raise once they get the passing results next week? If so, what is a reasonable increase in base comp to request without: a)selling yourself short, or b)looking like an a$$ who thinks way too highly of themself? As background, I work as a “generalist” investment analyst for a private wealth mgmt team at a wirehouse, have 6 yrs experience, and I’d be the only person in my metro area for my company with the charter.

Also, the team does a good amount of fee-based discretionary port mgmt so having a CFA charterholder on staff would be a plus from a “brand perception” standpoint.

Pass first… Don’t count your chickens before they hatch… Not to burst your bubble, but just being a realist…

i’d also make sure you have options. they’ll pay you your market value, it’s up to you to demonstrate what that is. going in there with nothing in your back pocket would make you look like a fool.

N.VanCandidate Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Pass first… > > Don’t count your chickens before they hatch… > > Not to burst your bubble, but just being a > realist… Ouch! Of course I’ll wait until I know for sure (and at least until I get the letter saying that I can officially use the letters), but planning for the best can’t hurt. (As an Ohio State football fan I am unfortunately used to big letdowns and waiting until “next year”, so if I have to sit again it’s not the end of the world.) As far as jbaldyga’s reply, I agree with where you are going with that, I’m just looking for a very general % bracket for CFA vs no-CFA chartholder for the same position.

zach, that’s a much tougher question to answer today. You may know charterholders with similar experience making X% more than you, but that doesn’t mean that’s your market value today. If your current company doesn’t give you the extra X% raise, you’re stuck trying to get it elsewhere in an illiquid market. So really that extra X% isn’t your market value even if you know others in the exact same position making that much. Find a willing buyer at the higher number and that’s your market value, otherwise you’re SOL like the rest of us. I’d be very surprised if you current company doesn’t apply this logic to keep you at your current salary. Why would they pay you more if they know you can’t get your number elsewhere?

d@mn mark to market…

it sucks. we missed the gravy train by about 3-4 years.

Don’t worry people gravy train will come back eventually!!! till then hang on tight to what you got…

I concur with the last three comments. We’ve missed the train by a couple years, but it will return…until then I’m afraid we are SOL and will probably remain underpaid until money starts flowing into asset management again. I spent some time this afternoon putting the cart before the horse and looking for ‘better’ jobs than what I have now (assuming I pass next week). Unfortunately, there are zero CFA ‘type’ jobs in my market (3MM metro population). In fact, even expanding the search to top asset management companies comes up dry. Although back in the level 1 days I had dreams of taking my level 3 results into my boss and basically demanding a raise or walking…Reality will likely be very different next week. Don’t worry though. The money will come, just give it time.

spope Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I concur with the last three comments. We’ve > missed the train by a couple years, but it will > return…until then I’m afraid we are SOL and will > probably remain underpaid until money starts > flowing into asset management again. > > I spent some time this afternoon putting the cart > before the horse and looking for ‘better’ jobs > than what I have now (assuming I pass next week). > Unfortunately, there are zero CFA ‘type’ jobs in > my market (3MM metro population). In fact, even > expanding the search to top asset management > companies comes up dry. > > Although back in the level 1 days I had dreams of > taking my level 3 results into my boss and > basically demanding a raise or walking…Reality > will likely be very different next week. > > Don’t worry though. The money will come, just give > it time. Same here man…forget any CFA related jobs, even non CFA finance related jobs are slim picking in my MKT…I am considering moving to a bigger MKT but then I hear everywhere is the same old sad story… TIME will heal all wounds even the bloody finance sector

Fixed 75% and floating 150%.