At what age does further study become academic?

You know what I mean. At what stage does further study become pointless? Say you’re 45 - would you consider further study (say an EMBA?). Or a Masters in Economics or something? Or would you say it has more to do with the level you are at in the corporate ladder? If you’re CEO for example, why bother?

I thought you were in your mid-30’s?

I am 35, correct. I was just using 45 as an example. I’m considering a Masters in a couple of years, and it just got me to wondering about when you’re too old for it to have much benefit (besides personal satisfaction).

I presume you are in an executive position at the moment, so go for it mate. You have everything to gain.

anything beyond 32 might count as academic.

I plan to never stop learning. Believe it or not but there actually is alternative reasons for studying other than staring at dollars signs in the distance. This is probably going to make me a lot of enemies but I find there are too many people on this board obsessed with the corporate ladder and the quickest way to a six figure salary.

Reggie Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I plan to never stop learning. Believe it or not > but there actually is alternative reasons for > studying other than staring at dollars signs in > the distance. This is probably going to make me a > lot of enemies but I find there are ***not enough***** > people on this board obsessed with the corporate > ladder and the quickest way to a ****seven***** figure > salary. Fixed

pimpineasy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Reggie Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I plan to never stop learning. Believe it or > not > > but there actually is alternative reasons for > > studying other than staring at dollars signs in > > the distance. This is probably going to make me > a > > lot of enemies but I find there are ***not > enough***** > > people on this board obsessed with the > corporate > > ladder and the quickest way to a ****seven***** > figure > > salary. > > > Fixed Holla.

Reggie Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I plan to never stop learning. Believe it or not > but there actually is alternative reasons for > studying other than staring at dollars signs in > the distance. This is probably going to make me a > lot of enemies but I find there are too many > people on this board obsessed with the corporate > ladder and the quickest way to a six figure > salary. I was more sort of thinking along the lines that you might study something that provided some benefit to your career. Is there much point to go back to university at age 50 to do a Bachelor of Arts in Classical History if you are working as a buy-side PM, your dream job? Let’s fact it, spending hours in front of the books is hardly leading a stimulating life.

Depends on the field. If you’re doing “soft” social sciences that have nothing to do with your immediate career (i.e. classical history, and you’re working as a financial analyst), then no matter what your age is, it will not help. However, say that you’re an accountant and you decide to pursue the masters in business taxation - this will always help. Ph.D. will always boost you, but masters degrees vary. EMBA helps if you want to get into a managerial position and/or switch out. However, if you’re already manager, then why bother (unless it’s for personal enjoyment). Generally, I’m all for various degrees / designations / education. I don’t know why people limit themselves.