Athens or Rome

thinking about a trip for 8 days to either Athens or Rome. What would you guys pick??

If by Athens you mean Mykonos…

Ive been to both. Athens/Mykonos/Rhodes- When single- Rome-and pretty much the rest of italy- With girlfriend. It’s hard to say, because it really depends on WHAT you want to do, HOW long your going for, WHO your going with. Provide some more info and i’d be glad to shed some light!

Greece is super chill… Athens is ok - - I would hit up the islands in Greece. Rome is cool as well too, but all of this CFA studying makes me want to get away from everything and live the tropical life sometimes… haha have fun - -

Go to Rome for a few days then take a train to Cinque Terre aka La Spieza. The coolest place I went to when I was there.

ok, I guess the HOW long is answered in your title “8 days”. If your not a real history buff, but want to get a decent feel of the history and take in the “major/most popular” attractions than I think 3 days is more than enough in either athens or rome. so your left with 4-5 days, with athens, you have the advantage of visiting nearby islands by ferry, and with Rome, you have the advantage of visitng nearby cities with train.

I visited Rome, Venice, Florence, Amalfi Coast (sorrento, positano, capri) and pisa, but i do regret not visiting Cinque Terre (google image this and you’ll see how amazing it looks)

yeah - Cinque Terre is a must if you go to Italy… one of my fav. places… lookout for the weather forecast so it doesn’t rain there on the days that you are going

Moderators: I WONDER WHY MY POST FOR ITALY WAS DELETED??

projectplatnyc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > yeah - Cinque Terre is a must if you go to > Italy… one of my fav. places… lookout for the > weather forecast so it doesn’t rain there on the > days that you are going I’ll third that. Amazing place to hike.

Italy and Greece are both beautiful - definitely 2 of my favorite countries. If you’re looking for a crazy time, do Greece and hit up Corfu (The Pink Palace). If you’re into history, go to Rome/Italy.

I would do Athens. Rome is a busy, crowded city (and pretty dirty, especially in late summer) yet there is a lot to do and see in Rome, no doubt. Athens does provide access to the islands and a multitude of ruins, which are absolutely incredible. Stay away from mykanos (tourist trap-but big singles scene). Santorini is more enjoyable. There are many, many islands to visit (oracle at delphi is another neat spot). Corfu is ok, but not really near the true circuit of greek islands… Of course if you are looking for a party, then disregard my advice…go to mykanos and stay there.

as others mentioned, it really depends on the type of stuff you’re into. If you’re thinking a big fat Greek getaway, I’d hit the islands over Athens any day - skopelos, patmos, santorini, all worth a visit. If you’re in for a crazy time, I wouldnt necessarily base it on Italia vs Hellas but that’s just me (other than mykonos, as Gecco mentioned). There is just soo much to see and do, so if 8 days is all you got, you should probably think about what your expectations really are and base your decision on that. Personally I like the vibe in Rome a bit better, but that is really subjective.

lola Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > as others mentioned, it really depends on the type > of stuff you’re into. If you’re thinking a big fat > Greek getaway, I’d hit the islands over Athens any > day - skopelos, patmos, santorini, all worth a > visit. > > If you’re in for a crazy time, I wouldnt > necessarily base it on Italia vs Hellas but that’s > just me (other than mykonos, as Gecco mentioned). > There is just soo much to see and do, so if 8 days > is all you got, you should probably think about > what your expectations really are and base your > decision on that. Personally I like the vibe in > Rome a bit better, but that is really subjective. Skopelos is where “Mamma Mia” the movie was filmed, Santorini is where the movie “Sisterhood of the travelling pants part 2” was filmed. take your girlfriend to see those flicks with ( i was dragged to go see them, but i actually enjoyed mamma mia)