Attitude at Work

For new hires, what type of attitude toward work is/isn’t desirable? I would appreciate your input, preferablly with examples of sucess and failure.

Is this a serious question? Work hard, show interest, and try to learn as much as you can.

No no, it is a serious questions. I have to go back to a career day event next week at my school. Just want to see if you guys out there have better understandings than I do. It is all for the children.

A solid work ethic and a desire to learn are, IMHO, the two most important factors. And speaking of hard work, did anyone else catch the Gamecock player they showed as the academic athlete of the week or something; 4.0 GPA in engineering (electrical?). A 4.0 in engineering is impressive in its own right, then add in the demands of being a D-1 athlete, and I am certainly impressed. Or, were you asking what you should tell the new hires to expect? Don’t sugar coat it; let it be known that you expect them to work hard and to do all they can to learn on what is going to be a steep curve. Much better to weed out people who aren’t interested from the very beginning than to find out after they start.

no arrogance/“I deserve…” attitude

Believe in the power of accumulation is another thing I would add :).

act like Marlo Stanfield…

ymc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Believe in the power of accumulation is another > thing I would add :). what does this mean???

ymc Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Believe in the power of accumulation is another > thing I would add :). what does this mean???" Pretty much, whatever you want it to mean…that’s the beauty of it.

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > act like Marlo Stanfield… probably not the best attitude for an entry-level person to have, but good reference…

Arrogance isn’t desirable. I really hate when people, especially new, young kids, are disrespectful of administrative assistants and the like.

XSellSide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Arrogance isn’t desirable. I really hate when > people, especially new, young kids, are > disrespectful of administrative assistants and the > like. Are these people as bad as the “young kids” who think they know everything but really have no clue what they’re talking about? Seriously, I don’t know why these people do it, but I have to imagine that it’s either because of hubris or because they don’t think anyone catches on. But usually what happens is that the more senior folks don’t say anything while you’re around and discuss amongst themselves how ludicrous you are after you’ve left the scene. This cohort of individuals also often includes people who dispense advice but have no real grounds to do so (something that happens on AnalystForum as well, incidentally, but I reckon this could happen anywhere) Anyway, I think those types of people along with the ones you’ve described are pretty much on the same low-level playing field.

check this board every 3 hours and finance.google.com every 30 min.

I check this board about every 20 minutes.

i give bad advice every 20 mins

A 4.0 from South Carolina is worth about as much as a good high school education IMHO.

DirtyZ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > A 4.0 from South Carolina is worth about as much > as a good high school education IMHO. I hate the school, but there is something to be said about competing in athletics at that level and maintaining a 4.0 in engineering ANYWHERE. But I’m sure you did it…

FIAnalyst: Actually I did play college basketball at a top 5 college, where I finished “high” in my class. I have to admit, I didn’t have a 4.0, but if I had gone to Penn St. or USC I probably would have. A 4.0 is impressive, but really every school is so different that it doesn’t mean that much to me. It’s similar to why people view the CFA as being better than an MBA in many cases…because with the CFA you know how high the bar is, while with many MBA’s it’s much harder to tell. GPA is no different, a person with a 3.0 at one school could do the same amount of work and get a 3.8 from another - I know this for a fact because a number of my friends transferred from my school to lesser academic schools (for sports actually) and wound up absolutely killing it academically. One of my friends went to Penn St. after being a mediocre student at my school (around 2.5 GPA). He earned a 4.0 in his two years there and said he rarely went to class and that it was a complete “joke”. Trust me, if you’re working with 1500 SAT and know how to work the system, a 4.0 at a fourth-tier school is a lay up.