Avenues for job hunting...

I’m currently a buy-side associate analyst at a top 20 mutual fund. Looking for a junior analyst postion that give me more recommendation responsibilities at a comparablly reputed firm. Interested in both BS and SS research. My question is what do you guys think is the best way to approach it? Doostang? Site seems mediocre to me. Go to T Rowe and other major’s websites? Done Careerbuilder/Moster?Currently trying Headhunters? Never tried one. Can anyone with experience give me a review of how helpful they though headhunters were? Calling institutional sales people 4 SS research? This is one i have debated over. Someone told me that it is common. I have good relationships with the sales people at the majors BAC GS UBS JPM etc. however it just seems like an akward thing to bring up. Also i have not made it public to everyone at my firm that i’m on the job market therefore i dont even know if i can trust the discretion of the sales ppl. Funny thing is one sales chick mentioned it to me one time when we were catching a ball game that i should call her if i needed a new job. I didnt take her up on her offer then, now i dont know how to bring up such a subject again. Knocking on peoples doors? Co-worker recommend it to me but it seems so 80-90’s Alumin network? Need to check this one out. Any others people have had success with?

I would recommend you take a look through Glocap.com. They are headhunters that have a great, user-friendly website that updates you as your applications have been reviewed. Once you fill out your profile, you just click ‘apply’ to whatever jobs you see fit. Seeing that you have previous industry experience, you might have some luck with them.

indeed.com is a job search engine (like kayak for plane tickets). you can find jobs listed on individual company’s websites, jobs listed on monster, hotjobs, wsjcareers etc by clicking search one time.

buddha Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Funny thing is one sales chick mentioned it to me > one time when we were catching a ball game that i > should call her if i needed a new job. I didnt > take her up on her offer then, now i dont know how > to bring up such a subject again. > > Knocking on peoples doors? Co-worker recommend it > to me but it seems so 80-90’s > If you can’t get over yourself long enough to ask for the job, then I’d recommend staying on the buy side! Seriously… Put yourself out there. Talk to people – especially the sales person who mentioned it earlier. This is your most likely source of a new job. Yes… it requires you to be outgoing and to be someone who takes initiative. I’m thinking these are good qualities in a candidate (even a research associate).