Awful Exam Day Experience

Food choices were very limited at my L1 venue. I ended up going to some gas station and bought a sandwich. Nothing happened, but in retrospect, that might not have been the best idea.

This was not entirely awful, but the Level 1 December exam in Atlanta was at the World Congress Center. It is directly next to the CNN Center and the Georgia Dome…where the SEC Championship was being held on the same day! So many drunk LSU and UGA fans.

Hey don’t bash gas station food. It’s awesome smiley

Get your girlfriend/boyfriend to go to the hotel across the road from the exam centre and book a table for lunch - that’s what I did for my level 3. She was sitting at the table with an awesome chicken caesar salad and red bull waiting for me. I was buzzing and ready to go for the aftermoon :slight_smile:

Will tell how my exam will go in a month.

Level 1 - Didn’t sleep the night before. Awful, desperate feeling. Had coffee and then made the brilliant decision to buy a can of Red Bull for lunch before I left for the test center. Got through the morning and after the Red Bull, I crushed the afternoon session and walked out knowing I’d passed.

Level 2 - Barely slept. Coffee for breakfast, Red Bull for lunch. Walked out feeling 60/40 but felt more confident in later days.

Level 3 - Barely slept. I made the big mistake of drinking too much coffee / water before the written morning session, which, if you don’t know, is the real nut-cutting time of the three CFA exams. I really had to pee after about an hour, but the time pressure (this was 2008) was silly. Got hung up on a question and scrambled for every point I could get, even punting a question, while doing the last half with my legs crossed. Red Bull for lunch and the afternoon went much better. Walked out feeling 50/50 and I passed by the skin of my teeth.

Other tips:

* wear jeans and sweatshirt. In North America in the summer, convention centers / meeting halls will have the air conditioning cranked up.

* check your IDs now to make sure they’re not expired.

* during lunch, try to review something that you know will be in the afternoon session. I think for L2, there wasn’t any econ in the morning so I knew it was coming up, and I read a few things that made for a couple easy questions less than two hours later.