B School Experts -> Numi this means you

Thing is though I believe nonUS schools prefer fresh grads, so a US program would probably be the best bet.

Without knowing anything more about your background, I would definitely say that Richard Montauk’s book is a great starting point. There are so many other books out there but you will get inundated with information and most of the good insights can come from Montauk’s book and self-reflection. If there was one book I’d recommend owning, it’s that one. I also used the 65 Successful HBS Essays and found the commentary about the essays to be quite useful, but there’s similar content in Montauk’s book and what you should be really focusing on is making your own application the best it can be. You will be distracted if you solicit too much advice from different sources.

My other suggestion is that with the exception of HBS, it is definitely important to talk about why you think you’d be a good fit for a particular school. You can add a lot of credibility to your statements by speaking with professors, alumni and current students, and specifically referencing these things in your essays and in the interview. HBS is the only school that didn’t seem interested in why I would want to go there either in the essays or in the interview. However, for everywhere else I looked at, the interviews were much more laid back and behavioral in nature, and they specifically asked why I wanted to go there and why I’d be a great fit.

My last advice is to have someone that’s been successful with MBA or law school applications to help review your documents (it doesn’t have to be me, but it could be :-P). I myself never worked with an “admissions consultant” but had enough close friends at top business schools who were willing to invest a non-trivial amount of time to help me. (I did give them gifts in exchange for their time.) My friends that had already done business school were especially helpful in ironing out my story and challenging my ideas as to whether they made any sense. I also had a couple lawyer friends who really went through my essays with a fine-tooth comb – they spend many hours a week editing legal documents anyway, so they were by far the most capable of paring down my essays into a really tight and persuasive format. I was simply amazed by how they could help me trim some of my essays down from 500 to 400 words when I personally didn’t think there was anything I could do to make them shorter without losing the key meaning of my ideas.

I do provide specific guidance for my clients on MBA applications and essays, but what I’ve outlined to you would be two general high-level tips that I think most applicants should follow. You will hopefully be well on your way to success and I wish you the best of luck. Hope this helps!

^ there’s the free advice CT, now pay the man to get the really good stuff.

Numi - You misspelled “uniquely” in the third line of the first paragraph of your description of Numi Career Consulting on your LinkedIn page in the experience section. Normally I wouldn’t point this out - not trying to be a dick - but since you’re selling proofreading as a service…

Edit: That’ll be $175.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I was editing the description a couple nights ago and must have started falling asleep at the wheel, so to speak. No wonder why I hadn’t gotten any new clients since…hopefully I’ve solved the problem :slight_smile:

lets not forget IIM Bangalore please!

I can totally understand this – I’m on the alumni admissions committee for both my undergrad and MBA institution, and the feedback I’d gotten during training is to not take it personally if I recommend the person I interviewed but he/she still doesn’t get in. It’s not that your boss can’t be helpful, but it’s simply that there are many things that go into one’s application beyond the interview. Having said that, all else equal it’s definitely helpful if your boss graduated from the school you want to go to, because he understands the culture of the school and will be able to write more credibly about why you could be a good fit.

Numi, do you give discounts to HCB’s?

“Hey girl, want to come over to my place and we can work on your interview skills?”

I’m always open to discussing mutually beneficial arrangements :slight_smile:

I went to one of those top euro b-school things. Tikka, depends where you want to work afterwards IMHO. Back in US, most of the euro top tier mbas don’t carry the weight they did in continental Europe. My class had a good amount of Indian citizens, and all of them ended up working in the Benelux area, save for one in SE Asia/Russia. None in US. Myself? I’m jobless and just realized that I’ve become the old creepy guy at the end of the bar, who rehearses cfa formulas. There is a house in new Orleans. Mother tell your children not to doooo what I have done…

LOL! Thanks higgmond :slight_smile:

Numi, what email can I hit you at?

I’d be right there with you, Lockheed, if it weren’t for the fact that I moved to Neverneverland. Thank god for Asian and Russian women. Otherwise, I might have shot myself by now.

The test went all right. I’m gonna take it again in a month cause I think I can do a lot better. I got a 690. Oddly enough I scored higher on Math than Verbal. That shouldnt have happened. I aim to fix that. Totally messed up the timing on verbal and ended up rushing at the end. I definitely got a bit lazy in the beginning and hung up more than I should have.

In any case, I’m not going to Harvard and I’m never gonna work for Goldman. If I can just get myself into one of those European ones, in cities with lots of smoking hot ladies, then I really don’t give a damn. It could be Barcelona, Madrid, Stockholm, hell anywhere the girls are not 30 percent body fat.

Really, you can’t go wrong anywhere in Spain.

My e-mail is numi.advisory@gmail.com

I was visiting Stockholm two years ago with some friends, and we went into what we thought was a pretty ordinary nightclub there. It was like we were walking onto the runway of a fashion show – the women there were beautiful. They were of different kinds of hair/eye color, height, skintones, and so forth, but they all looked ridiculously exotic. I was thinking about pinching myself to confirm that I wasn’t dreaming, until one of the girls came up from behind me and pinched me instead.

It was then that I realized, if I’m still single at age 35 (or maybe even next year for that matter), I’m packing up all my sh!t and moving to Sweden.

^ is that the real Stockholm Syndrome?

^ Yes, it must be!

Yep, I’ve already posted my stockholm story on here. Nobody believed it. Seeing Stockholm is believing.

Assuming you are a native speaker and you can bring your math score up, you should have no problem getting mid 700s. Unless you mean your percentile score, because most GMAT takers are good at math and terrible at grammar.

I don’t have any good advice on the MBA application, but I will say that your international experience is probably highly valued to American schools.