B-School Questions

I am taking Level III this June and am thinking about trying to get into b-school a year from this June. I’ve been working for about 2 yrs and am 23. From what I’ve heard it’s only worth it if you get into a good school and go full-time. I’m in Chicago so I’m thinking University of Chicago or Northwestern. I like the idea of networking through these programs as well as I have found it hard to break into investment management, venture capital or private equity. And of course it should improve pay. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it worth it? How diffucult is it get into these schools? Can you apply multiple times? For both programs I saw it takes 21 - 22 months (easy to get through it in 2 yrs?), how many semesters do they do? How do the classes work as far as how many classes you need to take per semester? Grades neede to pass? What percent graduate? From what i’ve seen it costs about 75 grand per year, sound about right? I know thats alot so any insights would be most appreciated. I have more questions if anyone would like to exchange email addresses. Thanks everyone!

If you are looking for a strong finance program which helps you with finance/I-banking jobs your choices are Wharton, Chicago or Columbia. I got in Wharton and Columbia, and am attending Columbia next fall. B School apps are so competitive especially with the potential downturn of economy, acceptance rates at these schools can be as low as 15%. Given you are 23 my initial impression is you should work for a few more years. You have to demonstrate well rounded success, with stunning professional progress. Passing CFA helps but not much, GMAT should be at least 700 in order to be advantageous, and you need very strong essays and recommendations. The future out of these schools is incredible. Do some research and you will find over 50 percent of grads from these schools end up with nice finance jobs, and a good portion of the rest go into consulting. starting rates are avged about 150k, student loans are nothing compared to the networks and future you get out of these schools.

mbacafa, Congrats on getting accepted. What kind of work experience are they looking for, i.e. certain jobs (i-banking or equity analyst type jobs) or are they looking for advancement or something else? Thanks for the insight I was planning on hopefully passing level III this year and taking a year off to relax and just work, and then try. But I wanted to know what they are looking for in job experience to see if I needed to make a switch. What type of references are they looking for (i.e. people from your job or contacts?)

Hey MBACFA, I’m also taking Level III in June, 24 years old, and considering applying to B-school. It’s a little late for full-time for Fall 2008, but I am considering full-time for Fall 2009 or perhaps part-time (which at Kellogg is rolling admissions, I believe). Since it seems like we’re on a similar path, I thought it would be nice to chat.

KAppa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey MBACFA, > > I’m also taking Level III in June, 24 years old, > and considering applying to B-school. It’s a > little late for full-time for Fall 2008, but I am > considering full-time for Fall 2009 or perhaps > part-time (which at Kellogg is rolling admissions, > I believe). Since it seems like we’re on a similar > path, I thought it would be nice to chat. Sure, if you like to chat you can email me at cypressday@yahoo.com. Would be happy to help out with any advice I may have…