Background check

So as many of you know, I recently quit my current role to take on a better role at a different firm. Part of the process involved in my attaining an offer from the new firm was a background check, or was it? So late last night as I arrived back home, I checked my mail like always. I was informed by a letter [from a Collections Agent] that I was owing the city $161 for failure to pay for a highway and traffic act conviction I had been convicted of in 2007. It gets better, my driver’s license is currently under suspension. So basically, these people had all my 4-1-1 plus my expressed written consent to check all my 4-1-1 yet neglected to find that I was a) owing a debt to a collections agent and b) had a deliquient driver’s license??? Unreal. Willy

Eh, it’s not likely that they ran any type of exhaustive background check on you without your knowledge and consent. I was offered a new position a few weeks ago pending an extensive background check, which was hired out to a third party. The third party contacted me directly with forms to sign consenting to credit and criminal background checks, as well as a form to fill out with past employment and education (all of which was verified). In addition, they checked all my references and performed a drug test. Again, I had to specifically sign off on this. I doubt your company did anything exhaustive–they probably assumed you weren’t a felon given that you were employed at a legitimate firm. To do an exhaustive criminal check requires a long history of your addresses and, in many cases, an army of researchers positioned all over the nation. Unless a third party contacted you asking you consent to a background check, it’s likely nothing significant took place.

by the way, do they care about infraction?

KKent, I think you’re right. Actuaryalfred - not 100% sure but technically I was convicted of a driving offense that escalated to collections because I completely forgot about all of it. I mean if they wanted to be sticklers to detail I’m sure they could nail me on this. Willy

I think once they’ve invested so much, something like this would not break the deal as it is clearly a situation where you just forgot about a ticket. I disclosed to HR that I was sent to collections in college (when I was moving every couple of months) for a movie a roommate had rented and never returned on my account (I had never even known about it until I checked my credit report many years later). They almost laughed in my face; they are going more for professional integrity sort of stuff. I know ppl at my firm that were fired after HR discovered they had lied about their previous salaries- that a BIG no-no.

akanska Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think once they’ve invested so much, something > like this would not break the deal as it is > clearly a situation where you just forgot about a > ticket. I disclosed to HR that I was sent to > collections in college (when I was moving every > couple of months) for a movie a roommate had > rented and never returned on my account (I had > never even known about it until I checked my > credit report many years later). They almost > laughed in my face; they are going more for > professional integrity sort of stuff. I know ppl > at my firm that were fired after HR discovered > they had lied about their previous salaries- that > a BIG no-no. How did HR find out? I’m all about honesty, but I’ve been told salary is something that cannot be found out ethically unless you give permission for them to verify. When I interned, the SVP I reported to was proud to claim she had lied her way through her career in terms of salary.

I can see your point. And I mean if I got called on this I would honestly say I did not know about it. But actually, my firm just fired me an “exit meeting request”. Naturally, I approved it but I’m wondering whether you guys who have moved on ever had such meetings? Willy

KJH, third parties are quite efficient at checking background. To get my job, I had to consent to them checking it to make sure I was telling the truth. HR is allowed to give dates of employment, title and salary. By and large, however, it’s very easy to lie about things on your resume, but every once in a while, you’ll run into a brick wall with an intelligent firm. It just doesn’t make sense to lie about immaterial things like GPA (if you have the requisite experience), salary and dates of employment. Unlucky people will do this, go through the hiring process, land their ideal job, and then get stunned when they get an offer for big money and a background check consent form. If I ever become a hiring manager, I will insist upon these background checks.

I guess checking up on one’s credit report from time to time isn’t a bad idea. Having even a small amount like that at a collection’s agency for a long time can hurt your score some what.

I used to work for a background screening company and you would be amazed at some of the stuff people lied about…I remember we had someone applying for an elementary school bus driver who ‘forgot’ to mention that he was formerly convicted of 1st degree murder. I really don’t think you have anything to worry about.

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- HR is allowed to give dates of employment, > title and salary. … and since, from what I’ve heard anyway, there are soft “industry” caps on how much of a raise one gets just for switching jobs (w/out other qualifications) your offer depends greatly on where you were before. Lying about it can be lucrative, so its definitely one of the points that is typically verified.

Did you guys have to take a drug test? I did- its quite the experience as the test center is VERY methodical and the typical ppl in the waiting room are anything BUT the average CFA candidate. I remember just thinking through all the possible tricks that ppl have tried to pull that created the need for some of the rules in the “collections” procedure.

Yeah, I’ve heard that, too, but the funny thing is, my firm was well well well aware of what I was making at past firm, and they offered me 57 percent more than my base plus a 25 percent bonus, which pro-rated for 2008 gave me about a 45 percent raise all-in versus past firm all-in. So ya never know. And yeah, I took a drug test, but I live in a nice suburb so everything was clean and efficient and the people were normal in there.

I’m in Dallas kkent, so I’m sure you can imagine!! I was glad to get out of there before rubber gloves were involved… :slight_smile:

I believe Canadian institutions only do a basic criminal check i.e have you ever been convicted of an offence …yes/ no . Maybe lil more detail if your working with kids etc … Banks do a credit check as well but only to check things like bankruptcy and they also check for multiple inquiries on your credit from various lenders to grant you credit . Atleast that what i heard from a friend who used to work @ HR in a bank .

Make sure to eat plenty of poppy seed bagels before taking your drug test! Stupid bloody invasion of privacy.

I didn’t bother to read the rest of the responses, as its Friday afternoon. However, just because you consented to a background check does not mean they performed it already. They may never perform it. But they do have the right to now, so if 2 years down the road they suspect something fishy, they can look back and see if you lied about anything. I wouldn’t be concerned about this though (at least as far as the job goes).