Backing out of written acceptance?

Hi guys… I have a bit of a dilemma. I have signed and delivered a written offer I received to work at a big bank. They are checking my references, and doing the security screen before it’s 100%, but pretty much I have the job. Now another bank wants to interview me for a position (already done a phone interview, next step is face to face). It’s a better position, and probably better exit opportunities. I have told them my situation and they say it’s up to me whether I want to interview. Any thoughts on this? What would be the repercussions of backing out of a signed offer contract? As far as I can tell, the contract only stipulates 2 weeks notice if I want to resign, though the contract doesn’t even come into effect until my start date in may. Thanks

Put yourself on ebay.

Dimes27 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi guys… I have a bit of a dilemma. I have signed > and delivered a written offer I received to work > at a big bank. They are checking my references, > and doing the security screen before it’s 100%, > but pretty much I have the job. > > Now another bank wants to interview me for a > position (already done a phone interview, next > step is face to face). It’s a better position, and > probably better exit opportunities. I have told > them my situation and they say it’s up to me > whether I want to interview. > > Any thoughts on this? What would be the > repercussions of backing out of a signed offer > contract? > > As far as I can tell, the contract only stipulates > 2 weeks notice if I want to resign, though the > contract doesn’t even come into effect until my > start date in may. > > Thanks How about just interview and see what happens? If they end up offering you, then come back and ask us.

Nothing. I did that, Employment at will works both ways.

TeamHydro Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How about just interview and see what happens? If > they end up offering you, then come back and ask > us. That’s what I’m going with. See what happens…

Dimes27 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > TeamHydro Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > How about just interview and see what happens? > If > > they end up offering you, then come back and > ask > > us. > > That’s what I’m going with. See what happens… In all honesty, nothing is going to happen. They can’t take you to court and make you work for them!! If you got a signing bonus, you’ll have to give that back. They will also probably blacklist you which means you can’t work for that company in the future (not that big of a deal if you ask me). So just go interview, see if you get an offer, and then decide. Only look out for yourself, not what you think is morally right because companies don’t give a flying fudge about you.

Agreed 100%. Keep interviewing and don’t lose any sleep over it

Yep, your company will terminate you in a heartbeat if it is a 1 cent positive NPV move. Eff 'em. Business is business.

Absolutely interview. There is really no downside unless the bank that made the first offer finds out, gets ticked and rescinds their offer. Not likely to happen.

There is no issue at all. Interview away. Congrats.

“So just go interview, see if you get an offer, and then decide. Only look out for yourself, not what you think is morally right because companies don’t give a flying fudge about you.” Yep. Gotta look out for number 1.