Bad sign for CAD MBA/MFIN?

I was looking at the admission requirements for Rotman MBA & MFIN

for grades, I now see the below

“Candidates who do not meet the GPA requirement may be eligible for non-standard admission”

I understand if this was written for a laurier or ryerson program, but rotman?

Even if we say rotman MBA is nothing, I know the MFIN at rotman is pretty legit.

So even the remaining solid programs being watered down?

what do you guys think. I was hoping an Mfin or Mba could help my career.

Says who? Genuinely wondering, and I’m not trying to sound like a dick but I don’t think I’ve seen an MFIN ranking where they’re listed.

I have 2 friends that i graduated from uw with that went into mfin at rotman. one went straight from uni (had co-op experience). got a role as an investment associate at rbc capital markets. I have another friend who finished this year and got a manager role at Tangerine (he was a senior analyst before)

The MBA program is the flagship program of the Rotman School and I don’t think it’s being watered down. In fact, applications are up >50% over the past two years. The quality of Rotman grads has probably never been higher. I say this as a 2014 Grad who’s involved with recruiting from Rotman at my bank.

That being said, I have studied with MFin students at Rotman. It is definitely legit. Most of them had very strong quant backgrounds and most of them landed great jobs. I knew a few who work at Goldman, Citadel etc.

An MFin or an MBA can help, but it all depends on what your background is and what you’re hoping to achieve. Even better than both the MBA and the MFin is the Masters of Mathematical Finance at UofT. This is an amazing program for new grads.

www.mmf.utoronto.ca

PM me if you have any questions.

appreciate the info. ill look into it.

but to be honest, I graduated from UW Math and i hate math lol. I feel math finance will be too much math lol

I don’t think this is a bad sign, I mean, other than that Canadian schools are hacksaw to begin with. If someone has outstanding non academic achievements and is almost guaranteed to be a life success, why should a business school reject him on the basis of GPA?

Isn’t University of Toronto ranked #1 in Canada and ranked top20 in the world? Of course their MBA and MFIN programs are “legit” whatever legit means. You graduate from the best college in your country and you will do just fine…