Bad Work Situation: What to do?

I generally hate these threads. BUT I had the impulse to see what others in my situation would do. The quick and dirty is that my boss is an arrogant a$$h0le and based upon recent occurences, I may be out of a job shortly. We’ve never seen eye-to-eye. Disclaimer: I don’t care about the company much, just the $$$. I am applying for B-school for '09 and am a LII candidate. Should I a.) Sit tight and possibly get fired? Or; b.) shop around for jobs that don’t exist in today’s environment? Worrying that either action would hurt my resume. I am going to be labeled a job hopper if I skip town and apply right away (and consequently screw my next potential employer) or have a huge gap in my work history. I am trying to ignore it for the next 10 days and then worry about it afterwards. Thanks.

i think people in finance should always be on the lookout for jobs. do what’s right for yourself. sitting tight is probably not the way to go. switching jobs is always explainable with a good story; having gaps in work history, not so much. as an aside, if you’d never seen eye-to-eye with your boss, how did you end up working with him in the first place? were there special circumstances here or did you just have no other employment alternative? how is this possible?

Thanks Numi I misjudged the situation initially and should have seen the warning signs. The circumstances played a minor role too. I jumped from a BO role to a FO role so I was more prone to ignore the warning signs that role wasn’t a good fit. I viewed a difficult interview as a sign more of vetting out the good candidates versus the bad ones. I figured my boss would be more collegial if I was hired.

I feel similiar in that my job has really “changed” and I am being recruited by another, larger firm. I feel badly about the prospect of having to give my current employer the news. But then again, here’s another paradox, feeling bad about doing something good. I mean most firms would sack a whole department if they had a $$$ reason. Why should I feel guilty about aligning myself with a winner. Willy

ValueAddict Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Thanks Numi > > I misjudged the situation initially and should > have seen the warning signs. understandable. been there, done that. i know the feeling and you just have to get the heck out as soon as you can

ValueAddict Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Worrying that either action would hurt my resume. > I am going to be labeled a job hopper if I skip > town and apply right away (and consequently screw > my next potential employer) or have a huge gap in > my work history. i don’t think either the schools you are applying to or future employees will hold this against you if you can explain it well. you can’t be reasonably expected to put your career on hold under the assumption you get into the school of your choice… until you get that acceptance letter it’s business as usual (given that it’s only may now). things might be different if it were the end of the year. just my $0.02

Quit and work as a “consultant”. There, employment gap problem solved.

It’s not always possible to have the perfect resume. Things happen, and you’ll have to cope with them. If you find a short-term position, to fill the gap between now and '09, take it. An empty gap isn’t going to do you any good. If you take up a BO job (again) you can always (later) claim that it was because of the difficult job market.

What else is going on besides dealing with an arrogant boss? I know it’s a pain in the ass, but I think you can just suck it up until '09. Work situations can be much worse than dealing with difficult people! I know this all too well. Do you feel termination is imminent? I’d start shopping the market. Yes, the job market stinks but you never know what you’ll stumble upon.

i guess it depends on the person’s level of tolerance, but i have no tolerance when dealing with an arrogant boss. there are a lot of smart people on wall street, and if you think you’re that much better than everyone else, it’s either because you truly are (and everyone would know if this were the case)…or you’re not, but you have some massive personal insecurities. usually, bosses are arrogant because they have a huge chip on their shoulder. i think the worst thing of all is when you know you’re more competent than your boss yet he’s pretty much a roadblock to your professional growth. that’s when you have to move on no matter what. and of course, impending termination would make matters even worse.

Thanks for all the great advice / spin. It’s a bit more than just being arrogant, but hey no crying over spilled milk. Sh*t happens. I have a pretty thick skin when it comes to taking verbal abuse etc. but what happened earlier this week was the last straw in my mind. Originally I was going to suck it up until '09 but I feel the firing may happen within the month. So getting out of there ASAP sounds like a good course of action. I have a few lifelines in upper management that appreciate the work I do, but I am not too sure if they’re go out on a limb for me.

Sorry about your situation. My last straw was a bale or two ago. I’ve been planning my exit strategy for several months. Shouldn’t be long now.