Band 10 Fail: Revaluation?

Dude, don’t wait till 2013, you want to do this when you’re fresh. You may have even less energy in 2013. Just take 2 mos off and you’ll be ready to go again.

Palantir Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dude, don’t wait till 2013, you want to do this > when you’re fresh. You may have even less energy > in 2013. Just take 2 mos off and you’ll be ready > to go again. Agree 100%. I was a Band 10 fail on L2 the first time around. Didn’t study much on second try and smoked the test. Do it while it is fresh, and don’t let 2 years of curriculum changes go by.

hezagenius Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Okey Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Do it if it’ll give you rest of mind but > nothing > > is going to change. I requested for a retab in > > 2010 when I didnt make L3. Nothing came of it, > but > > I felt better. I think it was $100 well spent. > I > > think that CFAI should consider regrading > rather > > than simply retabulating. > > > Agreed, but it won’t happen. CFAI is big on > saying that every exam is graded to the same > standard. If they offered regrades, there would > certainly be some deviation from this standard, > for better or worse. > > I’ve heard that any exam that is borderline is > reviewed again to make sure all possible points > have been awarded. I can’t say whether that is > true or not, but that is what I’ve heard. One of > these years, I’d like to participate in the > grading just to see what it is like. Spoke to another L3er yday. he has a friend who actually does grade the L3 exams. the friend said pretty much the same thing that u’re saying i.e. that people who are on the borderline get the full paper/ part paper rechecked by different graders and then a decision is made. also, your point about regrading makes sense as that would set off an avalanche of retabs and people questioning their initial process. the logical choice here is to save $100…BUT there’s this insane hope that MAYBE i’ll see a pass given how close i am (esp after seeing ForzaJuve’s very well compiled sheet comparing scores).

@Palantir, apcarlso --> Makes sense but i’ve been in the program since June 2007. 5 years of June to June schedules and here i am still not finished ! am 25 so ideally i shldnt be whining given that there are people much older than me who’ve given multiple attempts wid wife/kids, etc. but the thought of 1 more year of studying, esp the April-May cram sessions, using earned leaves from work TO STUDY, etc is a frustrating thought !

Just do it. What’s $100 in the grand scheme of things? You will feel better about it and not have that nagging feeling in the back of your mind that you could have been the one who would have had your results changed if only you requested a retab. It’s bound to happen eventually so why not see if it is you? Think of it as a $100 lottery ticket. Most likely it won’t pay off, but if it does, it would be so worth it.

How do you pay the 100$ using a credit card?

@reddevil_l3 - Below is my score matrix. Based on the 40/60/80 spreadsheet, I get to 62.7%. Although, this analysis is based on assumptions, I think its worth giving it for a retab. did you send request for the retab yet? FAIL Band 10 Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 15 * - - 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 23 - * - 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 26 - * - 4 Economics 23 - - * 5 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 20 * - - 6 Fixed Income Investments 19 - * - 7 Equity Investments 22 - - * 8 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 16 * - - 9 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 16 - * - Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 18 - * - - Economics 18 - * - - Equity Investments 18 * - - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 36 - - * - Portfolio Management - Execution 18 - * - - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 - * - - Portfolio Management - Risk Management 18 - * -

reddevil_l3 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > @Palantir, apcarlso --> Makes sense but i’ve been > in the program since June 2007. 5 years of June to > June schedules and here i am still not finished ! > am 25 so ideally i shldnt be whining given that > there are people much older than me who’ve given > multiple attempts wid wife/kids, etc. but the > thought of 1 more year of studying, esp the > April-May cram sessions, using earned leaves from > work TO STUDY, etc is a frustrating thought ! Started in June 2006! and just finished this year. Trust ME!!! It’s worth it, I can honestly say it’s worth it, more than those who go 3/3. failing once or twice makes you value it that much more.

BottomLine Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > @reddevil_l3 - Below is my score matrix. Based on > the 40/60/80 spreadsheet, I get to 62.7%. > Although, this analysis is based on assumptions, I > think its worth giving it for a retab. did you > send request for the retab yet? > > > FAIL > Band 10 > > > Essay > Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% > 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 15 * - - > 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 23 - * - > 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 26 - * - > 4 Economics 23 - - * > 5 Portfolio Management - Asset > Allocation 20 * - - > 6 Fixed Income Investments 19 - * - > 7 Equity Investments 22 - - * > 8 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 16 * - - > 9 Portfolio Management – Performance > Eval. 16 - * - > > Item Set > Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% > - Alternative Investments 18 - * - > - Economics 18 - * - > - Equity Investments 18 * - - > - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * > - Fixed Income Investments 36 - - * > - Portfolio Management - Execution 18 - * - > - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 - * - > - Portfolio Management - Risk Management 18 - * - hey Bottomline, am getting something like 62.8% on the 40/60/80 method. but i dont think am shelling out another $100 for the retab. they will just be verifying if my own answer sheets have been considered , if all questions have been graded and if the totals of both the sessions are correct. whats the chance of an error in something like that? also, am kinda sure that if an entire question has been left ungraded, i would def be lower than a Band 10 surely. Since they arent going to re-grade each and every question and debate if this merited more points, i dont think the retab serves any practical purpose. unfortunately, its 2012 for us :frowning:

whystudy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > reddevil_l3 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > @Palantir, apcarlso --> Makes sense but i’ve > been > > in the program since June 2007. 5 years of June > to > > June schedules and here i am still not finished > ! > > am 25 so ideally i shldnt be whining given > that > > there are people much older than me who’ve > given > > multiple attempts wid wife/kids, etc. but the > > thought of 1 more year of studying, esp the > > April-May cram sessions, using earned leaves > from > > work TO STUDY, etc is a frustrating thought ! > > Started in June 2006! and just finished this year. > Trust ME!!! It’s worth it, I can honestly say > it’s worth it, more than those who go 3/3. > failing once or twice makes you value it that much > more. Agreed…on the ‘value’ front. hoping i have the ‘tenacity’ and ‘rigor’ to do this for another year right away ! btw Congrats on finishing it !

If it makes you feel better, go for it. On a personal note, I failed Band 10 for L2 and decided not to do the retab.

Man I failed band ten last year, doubled down on the studying, studied twice as hard this year and failed band five. I was getting 80% on practice exams but got smoked in the afternoon session, wtf?