Band 10 Fail: Revaluation?

Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 16 * - - 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 22 - * - 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 26 - * - 4 Economics 23 - - * 5 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 20 * - - 6 Fixed Income Investments 19 - - * 7 Equity Investments 22 - - * 8 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 16 * - - 9 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 16 * - - Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 18 - * - - Economics 18 - * - - Equity Investments 18 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 36 - - * - Portfolio Management - Execution 18 - * - - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 * - - - Portfolio Management - Risk Management 18 * - - We have divided the full group of candidates who did not pass into 10 approximately equal score bands. Your score band below shows how your overall score on the exam compares with all other failed candidates. Your score band: 10 ANYONE else giving for revaluation? any idea on the success of revals in earlier years, especially at L3? AM session is subjective so maybe a reasonable chance ?

I wouldn’t do it. No AF user has ever reported this his result changed after a retabulation.

cityboy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I wouldn’t do it. No AF user has ever reported > this his result changed after a retabulation. will wait for responses but yeah i dont recall anyone having reported a change… this SUCKS. Band effing 10 !

i wouldnt do it. Those last 2 item sets were probably your undoing - if you had gotten over 50% on those, i bet you would’ve passed.

smileygladhands Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i wouldnt do it. Those last 2 item sets were > probably your undoing - if you had gotten over 50% > on those, i bet you would’ve passed. i remember getting out of the AM session thinking…’‘wow those last 2 sets were bad’’… 2013 for me…dont have the enthusiasm for 2012

Damn red - sorry to see that. Best of luck either way!!!

i was actually thinking the item sets (multiple choice, PM session) in any event sorry you didnt pass man, band 10 has gotta be the worst because you were so damn close… if you do 2012, it may be more fresh in your head, and less time for curriculum changes…just a thought…

If it gives you peace of mind, do it. It probably won’t change the result but you will feel better. If you are not aware of the process, all they do is add all your scores again to make sure the math is right. They do not go back and regrade your exam. Several years ago, someone asked for a retab on the L1 exam and CFAI found out there was some error in the electronic scanning for a bunch of tests. This resulted in several hundred people getting their results switched from fail to pass, so it certainly can happen. That is the only instance I am aware of where any results were changed from pass to fail.

@ Jcole…thanks. did u clear? @smileygladhands…agreed 2012 will be fresh. i’ll give it a couple of weeks and then decide. thanks for your input man… @hezagenius…if its jus going to be a recheck on the addition of the marks, low chance. thanks.

I feel your pain. I failed my first attempt at L3 and was sure I passed (2006, 76% pass rate). I compared my answers to a coworker as we were walking back to the office (yeah, I know you aren’t supposed to do that) and we had all the same answers. When results came out, she frikkin’ aced it and I had lots <50%. Just couldn’t figure it out. Still can’t. I did a retab and nothing changed. Still worth the $100 to me. At least you get some comfort you didn’t slip through the cracks with a retab. Hang in there. It took me 3 times to pass L3.

The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each topic area. Essay Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Portfolio Management - Individual 16 * - - 2 Portfolio Management - Individual 22 - * - 3 Portfolio Management - Institutional 26 - * - 4 Economics 23 - - * 5 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 20 * - - 6 Fixed Income Investments 19 - * - 7 Equity Investments 22 * - - 8 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 16 * - - 9 Portfolio Management – Performance Eval. 16 - * - Item Set Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 18 - - * - Economics 18 - * - - Equity Investments 18 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - - Fixed Income Investments 36 - - * - Portfolio Management - Execution 18 - * - - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 - * - - Portfolio Management - Risk Management 18 - - * We have divided the full group of candidates who did not pass into 10 approximately equal score bands. Your score band below shows how your overall score on the exam compares with all other failed candidates. Your score band: 10 I failed Band 7 in 2010 and there is no way I can fail this time. If I retook the exam again it would be mean letting my luck and not my effort determine whether i pass. So, for me its bye-bye to the CFA program

Last year, I put all the historical pass/fail information into an excel file. (CFAI puts it on their site at the link below.) When I came back to it last month to update the analysis for the Level I and Level II results, I noticed a change. For the 2010 L3 exam, someone moved from the fail column to the pass column. Before, there were 9880 passers before and 11582 failers. Now the current sheet at the link below says 9881 passers and 11581 failers. My guess is that someone successfully retabulated themselves into a passing score, but perhaps CFAI just miscounted. Again, I can’t prove anything because I don’t have the PDF from last year, but I’ll look for it. http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprogram/Documents/1963_current_candidate_exam_results.pdf

failed band 10. I’m also evaluating a retab. If it’s true that they don’t regrade the exam then I am less likely. EssayQ#TopicMax Pts<=50%51%-70%>70% 1Portfolio Management - Individual15-*- 2Portfolio Management - Individual23*-- 3Portfolio Management - Institutional26-*- 4Economics23–* 5Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation20*-- 6Fixed Income Investments19*-- 7Equity Investments22-*- 8Portfolio Management - Risk Management16*-- 9Portfolio Management – Performance Eval.16-*- Item SetQ#TopicMax Pts<=50%51%-70%>70% -Alternative Investments18*-- -Economics18–* -Equity Investments18–* -Ethical & Professional Standards36–* -Fixed Income Investments36-*- -Portfolio Management - Execution18–* -Portfolio Management - Individual18–* -Portfolio Management - Risk Management18-*-

abmaroon Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Last year, I put all the historical pass/fail > information into an excel file. (CFAI puts it on > their site at the link below.) When I came back > to it last month to update the analysis for the > Level I and Level II results, I noticed a change. > For the 2010 L3 exam, someone moved from the fail > column to the pass column. > > Before, there were 9880 passers before and 11582 > failers. Now the current sheet at the link below > says 9881 passers and 11581 failers. > > My guess is that someone successfully retabulated > themselves into a passing score, but perhaps CFAI > just miscounted. Again, I can’t prove anything > because I don’t have the PDF from last year, but > I’ll look for it. > > http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprogram/Documents/1 > 963_current_candidate_exam_results.pdf That’s interesting. If we suppose that this change is due to someone successfully retabulating and that this person was in band 10, then band 10 retabulators have a 1 / (10% * 11582) = 0.1% chance of changing their fail into a pass.

reddevil_l3 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > cityboy Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I wouldn’t do it. No AF user has ever reported > > this his result changed after a retabulation. > > > will wait for responses but yeah i dont recall > anyone having reported a change… > this SUCKS. Band effing 10 ! You were almost there, just try again next year.

If I were in this boat, I would retab. What’s $100 for peace of mind…I don’t just have the money to waste, but when spring rolled around and it was time to start cramming I would probably never be able to let go of “what if.” Just my 2 cents.

DFWAnalyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If I were in this boat, I would retab. What’s > $100 for peace of mind…I don’t just have the > money to waste, but when spring rolled around and > it was time to start cramming I would probably > never be able to let go of “what if.” Just my 2 > cents. talk about throwing good money after bad…but yeah…this makes sense too…i’ve spent what…$2.5k + already on this…wats another $100. it cant get me bad news cuz it cant get ne effing worse than band 10.

cityboy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > reddevil_l3 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > cityboy Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > I wouldn’t do it. No AF user has ever > reported > > > this his result changed after a retabulation. > > > > > > will wait for responses but yeah i dont recall > > anyone having reported a change… > > this SUCKS. Band effing 10 ! > > You were almost there, just try again next year. thanks…if not 2012…2013 i WILL crush this mofo.

Do it if it’ll give you rest of mind but nothing is going to change. I requested for a retab in 2010 when I didnt make L3. Nothing came of it, but I felt better. I think it was $100 well spent. I think that CFAI should consider regrading rather than simply retabulating.

Okey Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Do it if it’ll give you rest of mind but nothing > is going to change. I requested for a retab in > 2010 when I didnt make L3. Nothing came of it, but > I felt better. I think it was $100 well spent. I > think that CFAI should consider regrading rather > than simply retabulating. Agreed, but it won’t happen. CFAI is big on saying that every exam is graded to the same standard. If they offered regrades, there would certainly be some deviation from this standard, for better or worse. I’ve heard that any exam that is borderline is reviewed again to make sure all possible points have been awarded. I can’t say whether that is true or not, but that is what I’ve heard. One of these years, I’d like to participate in the grading just to see what it is like.