Band 10? What does this mean?

So after reading a few threads in here I started to see people use the term Band 10 or Band 9 as their position going into the exam? Can someone please explain to me what this means or calculated? Thanks

It means you failed last time you took the exam.

If your score band is reported as 10, you scored in the top 10% of all failed candidates. Rather than simply saying pass/fail, the CFAI now also reports bands, to give you an idea of how close you were to passing.

It means you are the highest ranked loser. The worst band to be in because your a$$ almost passed but didn’t. (a major fear to me right now) sighhh

oh wow, I had not realized the CFA institute provides Bands. So a band 10 is the closest of the failing candidates to pass the exam?

mrturbo311 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > oh wow, I had not realized the CFA institute > provides Bands. So a band 10 is the closest of > the failing candidates to pass the exam? that is an affirmative, I got a “band 10 survivor” tatooed to my arm

Do they rank it from Band 1 to Band 10? I’m assuming Band 9 is the second group down, 8 7 6 so on and so forth

mrturbo311 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Do they rank it from Band 1 to Band 10? I’m > assuming Band 9 is the second group down, 8 7 6 so > on and so forth yes

yup!

ditto!

Has anyone ever copped to a band 1?

Getting into Band 1 would be harder than passing, you would have to know the answers to all the questions to then put in the wrong one on purpose. If you guess the whole thing, you be in at least Band 2… Band 1 is for people who guessed the whole exam and then succk at guessing too! - no luck at all

its not necessary that Band 1 sucked a$$ bigtime - it depends on the distribution of scores, after-all its all relative - my guess is that the distribution has pretty high negative kurtosis and less outliers then we’d imagine.

btw, when did they start implmenting this BAND scoring system??

If I don’t pass, I hope to be able to claim a Band 1. That would be sweet.

Doesn’t CFAI havea TV program based on Band 10? It’s called “The Biggest Loser”

CF_AHHHHHHHHH Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It means you failed last time you took the exam. lol