Bank Debt

How do you figure out bank debt for publicly traded companies? What exactly is “bank debt”? I always assume that bank debt was just the revolver??.. Gracias.

bank debt would be such things like syndicated bank bonds, syndicated bank loans etc.

bank is the first to be paid in a reorg. no matter what

mpoonan- you are wrong. bank debt is paid in order of seniority. no matter what.

as a practical matter, bank debts are paid first. Not for technical reason but more “political”… in any case… .how do i find bank debt figures? Is it off balance sheet?

you’re wrong too. you can find “bank” debt in the 10-K, in the section called “Debt.”

So most, well-capitalized companies, bank debt is essentially the revolver, since the majority of the debt is in the form of bonds… is that the way I should interpret it?

Sure, although I guess that the well-capitalized part is a little circular because companies that can sell bonds probably don’t have much bank debt because its much more onerous. (Actually, this is just true in the US. Different in Germany and probably other places)

joekinde Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mpoonan- > > you are wrong. bank debt is paid in order of > seniority. no matter what. In almost all cases bank debt is senior. So if that is the case it gets paid first. No matter what.

swtxlady Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How do you figure out bank debt for publicly > traded companies? What exactly is “bank debt”? I > always assume that bank debt was just the > revolver??.. It’s any bank-created credit facility. Includes revolvers, loans, LOC, CP backstops. They’re not public by default (unless syndicated) so you have to do some digging to discover them. Many firms (such as credit agencies) will sell you what they know for a price. > In almost all cases bank debt is senior. So if that is the case it gets paid first. No matter what. Except for all the obligations senior to bank debt (typically, a/p, salary, etc.)

DarienHacker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > swtxlady Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > How do you figure out bank debt for publicly > > traded companies? What exactly is “bank debt”? > I > > always assume that bank debt was just the > > revolver??.. > > It’s any bank-created credit facility. Includes > revolvers, loans, LOC, CP backstops. They’re not > public by default (unless syndicated) so you have > to do some digging to discover them. Many firms > (such as credit agencies) will sell you what they > know for a price. > Revolvers, loans and LOC are publicly disclosed right?

yes…check 10k or q