Banker sacked after taunting staff with £10 note

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/03/20/exclusive-city-banker-sacked-after-taunting-nhs-staff-with-10-note-115875-23001700/ The Mirror reports: A banker who taunted doctors and nurses on a protest march by waving cash at them was looking for a new job yesterday after being sacked. Romain Camus got the push from Deutsche Bank after the Sunday Mirror exposed his sick stunt last week. The foreign currency trader was photographed at the second-floor window of Deutsche Bank’s City offices mocking NHS workers on a march against cuts. As they passed, Camus held up a £10 note and was seen mouthing: “Get a job.” GP Jackie Turner of Hackney, East London, who ­witnessed his taunt two weeks ago, said: “He was sneering at us. We were appalled.” Bosses at the firm – where­ investment bankers enjoy a basic salary of £350,000 – were furious and showed him the door. Camus still walks away with a bonus of around £50,000 paid to all the firm’s investment bankers last month. More than 1,000 health workers are expected to march on Deutsche Bank later this month to demand an apology from ­bosses and call for his bonus to be given to charity.

Well the guy is clearly an asshole! At the same time it was only a 10 pound note

since he’s paying the taxes that are paying their wages isn’t he allowed to demonstrate his own point of view? so what if that’s making an @$$ of himself from a window. at least he’s held to a standard.

^Theres expressing your opinion and then there’s being a dick

Uh, he publicly made his employer look bad. Therefore he gets sacked. His employer has every the right to remove him for making the company look like it doesn’t care about unemployed nurses (whether it actually doesn’t care is irrelevant, it still goes against the PR policy).

@mar350, You must have been sleeping in all the marketing classes.

As they passed, Camus held up a £10 note and was seen mouthing: “Get a job.” I bet all his pals do this to him now…

Well, I can definitely sympathize with this guy. Don’t tell me you guys don’t get annoyed when public union workers go on strike and protest that the US should increase taxes on “the rich” to pay for their salary and benefits. Of course, he still should have exercised self control in this case.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Well, I can definitely sympathize with this guy. > Don’t tell me you guys don’t get annoyed when > public union workers go on strike and protest that > the US should increase taxes on “the rich” to pay > for their salary and benefits. Of course, he still > should have exercised self control in this case. Agreed.

CFABLACKBELT Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ohai Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Well, I can definitely sympathize with this > guy. > > Don’t tell me you guys don’t get annoyed when > > public union workers go on strike and protest > that > > the US should increase taxes on “the rich” to > pay > > for their salary and benefits. Of course, he > still > > should have exercised self control in this > case. > > > Agreed. I get annoyed when I do the math and calculate that I pay a higher percentage of my income in taxes than “the rich.” Especially since they derive so much from society and pay so little.

LBriscoe Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I get annoyed when I do the math and calculate > that I pay a higher percentage of my income in > taxes than “the rich.” Especially since they > derive so much from society and pay so little. like what? they don’t ride buses, paticipate in public healthcare or even go to public schools. remember that <2% are “rich”

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > LBriscoe Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I get annoyed when I do the math and calculate > > that I pay a higher percentage of my income in > > taxes than “the rich.” Especially since they > > derive so much from society and pay so little. > > > like what? they don’t ride buses, paticipate in > public healthcare or even go to public schools. > remember that <2% are “rich” Their employees, customers, suppliers, etc. do. The overwhelming majority of gov’t expenses are used for the creation and preservation of wealth. And, like it or not, wealth is concentrated in the hands of a few (the top 400 have as much as the bottom 150 million).

LBriscoe Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Their employees, customers, suppliers, etc. do. > The overwhelming majority of gov’t expenses are > used for the creation and preservation of wealth. > And, like it or not, wealth is concentrated in the > hands of a few (the top 400 have as much as the > bottom 150 million). i’m not following you. you’re saying every wealthy person owns a huge company that employs a ton of people. why would they want to do that? why not just sit on cash and investments?

LBriscoe Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFABLACKBELT Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > ohai Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > Well, I can definitely sympathize with this > > guy. > > > Don’t tell me you guys don’t get annoyed when > > > public union workers go on strike and protest > > that > > > the US should increase taxes on “the rich” to > > pay > > > for their salary and benefits. Of course, he > > still > > > should have exercised self control in this > > case. > > > > > > Agreed. > > > I get annoyed when I do the math and calculate > that I pay a higher percentage of my income in > taxes than “the rich.” Especially since they > derive so much from society and pay so little. Except the top 2% pays over half of federal taxes… I’m not saying they shouldn’t pay more, but simply saying that they pay “so little” is misinformation at best.

CFABLACKBELT Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Except the top 2% pays over half of federal > taxes… > > I’m not saying they shouldn’t pay more, but simply > saying that they pay “so little” is misinformation > at best. Wouldn’t it be “funny” if the top 2% decided to just buy their own country somewhere and leave the remaining 305 MM of us to all our great government services funded by 1/2 the tax receipts? Things would be so much better for us poor people then. Most certainly.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFABLACKBELT Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > Wouldn’t it be “funny” if the top 2% decided to > just buy their own country somewhere and leave the > remaining 305 MM of us to all our great government > services funded by 1/2 the tax receipts? ever read ‘Atlas Shrugged’? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > ever read ‘Atlas Shrugged’? > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged Yup, I wish those who want to dramatically increase taxes on the “rich” would read it as well. I live in NJ, and we saw nearly $100 billion in wealth leave the state over a few years when the state bumped taxes on those making $500,000 or more. Not surprisingly, net tax receipts from “rich” people fell.

----------------------------------------------------- > CFABLACKBELT Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > Except the top 2% pays over half of federal > > taxes… > > > > I’m not saying they shouldn’t pay more, but > simply > > saying that they pay “so little” is > misinformation > > at best. > I agree. You have so many people bitch about how the rich are getting too many breaks and should pay much more etc The top 10% already pays like 70% of all taxes. Half the country pays 0 taxes and is still bitching about how it’s unfair? wtf.

higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mar350 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > ever read ‘Atlas Shrugged’? > > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged > > > Yup, I wish those who want to dramatically > increase taxes on the “rich” would read it as > well. I live in NJ, and we saw nearly $100 > billion in wealth leave the state over a few years > when the state bumped taxes on those making > $500,000 or more. Not surprisingly, net tax > receipts from “rich” people fell. It’s easier to leave a state than to leave a country. Not many countries out there can offer the American lifestyle and opportunities while having lower tax rates. There is a reason US Tresuries and the dollar are still considered a safe haven.

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > since he’s paying the taxes that are paying their > wages isn’t he allowed to demonstrate his own > point of view? so what if that’s making an @$$ of > himself from a window. at least he’s held to a > standard. He did it at work, thus bringing disrepute to his employer in a political climate that is very sensitive about banker’s compensation. The lack of tack and poor judgement it illustrates is reason enough for termination, not to mention the backlash it has provoked.