barclay's numerical test

Did anyone take the test on their recruitment website? like 18 questions to be finished in 21 minutes? i think i failed miserably and therefore couldn’t advance to the next step… those i believed is mainly for fresh grad student but i think it present some level of difficulty Have anyone able to go to the next step which is verbal test?

What many don’t realise, is that these tests are marked negatively. You score better attempting 16 and getting 12 correct than taking all 21 and getting 15 correct. Also, many use the average time-per-question and compute a score from wieghted avareages (i.e., you score higher for answering hard questions quicker than for answering easy questions quickly). There is no substitute for expoerience, and there are lots of sites that offer practice tests either for free or for a cost. The level isn’t especially hard, it’s more a test of workflow (i.e., identifying the correct variable(s) to compute to reach the answer) and being able to work your calculator well, but they’re built on basic arithmatic, %, fractions, graph interpretation etc. Nothing compared to CFA level quant.

The verbal reasoning test requires some practice. The first time I took one of these I failed it (i.e. probably got about 4 wrong). The HR girl then recommended I reapply for the position given that my numerical skills were so good, and I practice the verbal reasoning test. This, she assured me, would help greatly. I queried the point of such a test if she believed I had the aptitude for the job. Box ticking was essentially the response. I didn’t reapply.

keat, honestly, those questions are VERY easy. As TheBigBean said, the verbal reasoning test is more challenging, especially if English is not your first language TheBigBean, can I ask you why you didn’t reapply?

where is the test?

I took a personality test for CapitalOne once. 300 something questions. After #90 I just started clicking. Terrible terrible recruiting process.

Did they ask you what’s in your wallet?

take DE Shaws quant interviews. those are sexier

MrDonadei Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > TheBigBean, can I ask you why you didn’t reapply? It seemed so ridiculous to me, and it was one of the first jobs I applied for as a graduate so there was a certain amount of excess confidence and principles on my behalf. Still, I don’t regret it.

kant Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I took a personality test for CapitalOne once. > 300 something questions. After #90 I just started > clicking. Terrible terrible recruiting process. If you think their testing process is bad, try working there.

Frankly speaking I think i did better in Level 1 CFA better than the numerical test, perhaps i never practise enough for those question but i did get a shock when i failed the test… nevertheless it provide motivation for me to work harder towards level 2 :slight_smile:

I sat their test when I was a senior at college (2004) at their testing centre just off the Strand. I found it very hard as well. There were something like 100ppl. in the room! Lots of ethnic ppl. as well! I failed miserably.